First day success!


Advertisement
Central America Caribbean
August 16th 2011
Published: August 17th 2011
Edit Blog Post

I’ve officially taught my first day as a real teacher in my own classroom! Granted, I only had 2 kids today (I was supposed to have 3, and will apparently have 4 by September), so it felt a little more like babysitting than teaching, but still. I was totally legit. Don’t try and take my moment away from me.
My day started with me setting up for class and having a gecko fall from my ceiling. This was followed by me subsequently chasing the gecko around the room until I got him to leave so that he wouldn’t distract the kids when they got there. I really hope no parents were walking by while this was happening, because it took a good 2 minutes of gecko-chasing before I was victorious.
Once my kids arrived the day went fairly normally. Because it was such a small group I was able to cover a lot more than I originally anticipated, which means I’ll actually get to delve into real lessons tomorrow instead of dragging out all the introductory stuff.
The first slightly ridiculous part of my day came when I decided I had to teach my kids how to line up. All 2 of them. And they still fought over who got to be the line leader. This wouldn’t have been necessary except that at lunch we join up with the rest of the elementary school in one big line to go to recess, so basic line-up etiquette is important. In order to practice the line and keep consistency, however, we now go everywhere in the line. I’m hoping it looks slightly less absurd when I at least have 3 kids instead of 2.
The second slightly ridiculous part of my day came at recess. A minute after letting the kids go play, the other teachers and I noticed all the kids crowding around something. Upon closer inspection, it was a smoldering fire. In the corner of the playground. I never thought I would have to utter “Hey kids, stay away from that smoldering fire in the corner of your playground”, but there’s a first time for everything I guess. Also, when we went out for a recess break later in the day, the smoldering had turned into actual flames. Great. Luckily all the kids listened to my warning, at least enough to not get roasted. I’m hoping that they move the fire to a different part of campus tomorrow.
Since I blogged yesterday too, I guess there’s not really much else to report. OH, the carrots here are way bigger than the ones they grow in the States. Just FYI. Also (warning: mandatory mosquito comment), my mosquito bites weren’t itchy while I was busy teaching, so that’s good.


Advertisement



18th August 2011

Congrats!
Nice to start so small. Pretty funny about 2 kids lining up and Gecko chasing. Glad things went well!

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.06s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb