A Weekend in the Caribbean (Written by Sara)


Advertisement
Published: June 30th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Self-Portrait by SaraSelf-Portrait by SaraSelf-Portrait by Sara

Sara is the author of this blog entry, and she took all of the pictures (except for the physically impossible ones that include her).
If you like to relax on a beautiful beach or explore tiny shops full of culture, Puerto Viejo is a good choice for you. If you like to experience nightlife full of dancing and socializing down main street and also on the beaches, Puerto Viejo is the perfect place for you.
By day, Nicole, Sarah, Morgan, Ginger, Justin, two members of CPI, Sonia and Aleks, and I explored the many different beaches (Playa Negra in particular) and observed the laid-back atmosphere of the people in the town. Everybody was so quiet, yet extremely polite. We spent a lot of time swimming and taking as many pictures as possible.
At night time the city comes to life. No matter where you are standing, music is heard from every direction. Every bar and club is lit up and full of people ready to party. Friday night we hung out at the beach, while Saturday night we danced and socialized with all the locals and other exchange students. With little sleep and a lot of memories, we made the 4-hour bus drive back after swinging by the largest Burger King I’ve ever seen.
Puerto Viejo was definitely one of my
ASU Caribbean Group (Plus One)ASU Caribbean Group (Plus One)ASU Caribbean Group (Plus One)

Justin, Ginger, Sarah, Morgan, Sara, and Nicole were the members of the group who spent the weekend on the Caribbean side of Costa Rica. The guy on the left is not from our group!
favorite places I’ve been to in Costa Rica, however, it is difficult to compare apples to oranges. Every place we’ve been is different in its own way, and that’s what I love about Costa Rica. From the Pacific Ocean to the Caribbean Sea, Costa Rica is full of so many different cultures that everyone should experience at least once in their life.



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Art GalleryArt Gallery
Art Gallery

This art gallery is typical of the town of Puerto Viejo. There are many galleries and small shops with interesting cultural items.
Costa Rican FlagCosta Rican Flag
Costa Rican Flag

Sara and Sarah hang the Costa Rican flag that they bought in every hotel that they visit during weekend trips.
First Meal in Puerto ViejoFirst Meal in Puerto Viejo
First Meal in Puerto Viejo

The group ate their first meal in Puerto Viejo at a small family-owned soda.
RelaxingRelaxing
Relaxing

Justin and Aleks (from CPI) are relaxing at their cabin.
Leaf-Cutter AntsLeaf-Cutter Ants
Leaf-Cutter Ants

Puerto Viejo also has leaf-cutter ants. They cut the leaves and carry them back to their nest.
BeachBeach
Beach

One of the beaches at Puerto Viejo.
MorganMorgan
Morgan

Morgan on one of the beaches
Under a TreeUnder a Tree
Under a Tree

Aleks, Sonia and Morgan sit under a palm tree on the beach.
GingerGinger
Ginger

Ginger sitting in the surf
JustinJustin
Justin

Justin checks out an abandoned sunken ship of some kind.
SaraSara
Sara

Sara hits the beach
Dog Chasing CrabsDog Chasing Crabs
Dog Chasing Crabs

This dog was chasing the crabs when they peeked out of their holes on the beach.
LocalsLocals
Locals

Some of the locals on one of the beaches
Storm ComingStorm Coming
Storm Coming

The Caribbean right before a storm
SarahSarah
Sarah

Sarah walks in the surf before the storm.


30th June 2010

love the blog entry sara!!! and the pictures are awesome!!! we are so happy you are having an amazing time. although you may not be ready to come home...we are so ready for you to be back here with us!!! cannot wait to hear stories!!!! hugs and kisses. we love you much sweetpea!!!

Tot: 0.484s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0284s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb