June 17 - faith


Advertisement
Published: June 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Methodist SchoolMethodist SchoolMethodist School

you can see some damage...but there were children coming out when I took the picture
My brother Ron has posed a question to me - - did I feel a burden for this people's spiritual faith and salvation?

I wrote briefly in an earlier blog about the history of religious faith here in Haiti. This history began with slaves from Africa brought here to work for the large landowners. I am sure they brought their native 'belief system' with them It was changed by the Catholic churches established here by those landowners. Then following the revolt, there was a mixing of their native beliefs, voodoo in particular, with the Catholic faith. There is also a strong component of a 'darker' voodoo faith operating underground.

However, there is definitely a growing influence from different Christian faiths here; particularly in PaP. I have seen Baptist Churches, Methodist Churches, and several Bible based non-demonational or Pentecostal churches in my travels throughout PaP. Also, remember the Salvation Army has been a strong presence here in Haiti for over 60 years. We have attended a non-demonational English speaking church service twice in the last 4 weeks. Both services were packed, with the majority of the congregation Haitian. Last Sunday, the team attended the SA Central Corp service here. You
Methodist School 2Methodist School 2Methodist School 2

notice youngster coming out of school.
recall that the church was severely damaged in the quake and services are held outside under large tarps. It is estimated about 300 people were in attendance for the 3 hour service --- folks willing to sit outside in the heat of the day for 3 hours to enjoy the SA band, singing group and message!

What is especially interesting is that EVERY denomination with a church here also has a school with it. After all, the future of Haiti is in its young. Along with the regular courses there is a religious component. In a discussion I had a couple of weeks ago, I was told that the influx of Christian mission teams to help Haitians in this time of crisis also becomes a strong witness to their faith. Every Christian who comes here and touches lives, witnesses to Christ's love for them. Also, the Salvation Army influence is widespread, not just here in PaP. Almost every community or at least general area has a SA Corp church and school. Throughout Haiti, there is respect for the Salvation Army and its work. The Salvation Army Corp officers are predominantly Haitian. Haitians witnessing to Haitians is powerful.

Yes, as a person of faith, I feel burdened for the souls here. Butl I also have hope for them. There are people being called by God to come here, to settle here, to establish churches, schools and missions here. They will, indeed, change the spiritual faith of a nation.

I am attaching a picture of a Methodist School ... which was apparently damaged in the quake, but is still operating.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0588s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb