Belize & Mexico


Advertisement
Published: May 27th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Howler Monkey at Monkey River, BelizeHowler Monkey at Monkey River, BelizeHowler Monkey at Monkey River, Belize

We enjoyed watching this guy swing from branch to branch in the trees.
Hola from Guatemala. We just returned to Guatemala after spending the winter and spring months in Belize and Mexico. We plan to spend the hurricane season tucked in the Rio Dulce of Guatemala. We are about 17 miles inland from the Caribbean coast and are staying at Mario's Marina here on the river.

Belize is an English speaking country with strong ties to Great Britain. It was formerly known as British Honduras. It is situated between Mexico to the north and Guatemala to the south. Lying off the coast of Belize are hundreds of small islands and the largest coral reef in the western hemisphere. There is a long inner channel (100 miles long) between the mainland and the reef where you can sail and get the benefit of good wind without all the wave action that you have out in the open ocean.

One of the highlights of our time in Belize was a day trip to Monkey River and seeing the howler monkeys swinging in the trees. We had to wait for the monkeys for quite a while but eventually our guide Alex found them and we had a delightful time watching the monkeys in the wild.
Chichen Itza, MexicoChichen Itza, MexicoChichen Itza, Mexico

The temple of Kukulkan.
We also saw crocodiles in the river and lots of birds (egrets, herons, etc).

We sailed the Caribbean coast of Mexico and went as far north as Isla Mujeres, just across the bay from Cancun. In Mexico, we enjoyed visiting the Mayan ruins at Chichen Itza and also at Tulum. Chichen Itza rose to regional Mayan prominence around 600 AD and was later invaded and conquered by the Toltecs in the 900s. These two cultures blended together .

Tulum was built on the Caribbean coast of Mexico and was a prominent trading port for the Maya around 1200 AD. Tulum was occupied until the 16th century when the Spanish arrived and was completely abandoned by the end of that century. Now it is a popular tourist destination due to it's well preserved ruins and also close proximity to the beach resorts.

I'm looking forward to visiting the Mayan ruins here in Guatemala especially Tikal. We may take a trip the ruins of Copan as well which is across the Honduras border and just a few hours from here.

Everyone have a safe and enjoyable summer.

Donna
Donna


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Tulum, MexicoTulum, Mexico
Tulum, Mexico

Ancient Mayan ruins.


Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0489s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb