White Water Rafting (written by Chad)


Advertisement
Published: July 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

ASU Raft 1ASU Raft 1ASU Raft 1

Chad (in the center, author of this entry) and Ashley, Jessica, Valarie, Elizabeth and Michelle, ready to "unleash the beast."
Four days and seventy dollars ago, the 2009 ASU-Costa Rica Squad set out to conquer something a little more challenging than an entirely different language and slightly more dangerous than gallo pinto for breakfast...White Water Rafting. Let's just say...I knew it was going to be a good day after Janice Dickenson (former supermodel and guest on America's Next Top Model) used the men's room right after I did in a very random rest stop in Costa Rica. Oh yeah...it was going to be a good day. Our destination was the Pacuare River, and the company that took us to the location was called RĂ­os Tropicales. I had been looking forward to going white water rafting all my life and I was ready to unleash the beast all over this river. When we finally made it down to the river...I wasn't so confident. It looked pretty sketchy. However, it must be noted that this particular group of Arkansans aren't the kind of folks to back down when the going gets tough. No no no...this special group, when confronted with twenty plus miles of treacherous river only had one thing to say...and that is....

"We love to be wet..."

ASU Raft 2ASU Raft 2ASU Raft 2

Amanda, Amy, Dr. O, Abby and Jill are in the second ASU raft.
So with that mindset....we set out. My raft consisted of Jessica and I at the front, Elizabeth and Valarie in the middle, and Ashley and Michelle holding down the rear. The rest of the ASU crew was in another boat including Dr. Owens. While paddling down the Pacuare, we saw numerous natural waterfalls, beautiful plants and trees that completely engulfed our surroundings, and we even spotted the occasional lizard, bird, or butterfly that we will probably never see again. Overall though, this trip was a whole lot more terrifying than I thought it would be. It may have got scary when I almost fell out...or it may have even got a little scary when my boat completely flipped...I'm not really sure...but what I did know at the time is that this river was getting in the way of our lunch. So in the end, we all banded together while narrowly escaping serious bodily harm numerous times, and are here today with one heck of a story to tell.

Costa Rica = Pura Vida
Chad Whatley



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

White WaterWhite Water
White Water

That's why they call it white water.
Early RapidsEarly Rapids
Early Rapids

ASU 1 successfully navigates an early set of rapids.
In ActionIn Action
In Action

ASU 2 in action in one of the early, smaller rapids.
On the BrinkOn the Brink
On the Brink

ASU 1 about to hit a big one.
Mid RapidMid Rapid
Mid Rapid

ASU 2 in the middle of a big one -- everyone but Jill and the guide is totally submerged.
Guide OverboardGuide Overboard
Guide Overboard

ASU 2 loses its guide.
Other EndOther End
Other End

Dr. O. makes an unsuccessful rescue attempt using the wrong end of the paddle.
Meanwhile . . .Meanwhile . . .
Meanwhile . . .

Meanwhile, ASU 1 successfully navigates a large rapid.
Working HardWorking Hard
Working Hard

ASU 2 is working hard to follow the directions of the guide.
Beautiful GorgeBeautiful Gorge
Beautiful Gorge

The scenery is breathtaking, although there isn't much down-time to enjoy it.
Getting RoughGetting Rough
Getting Rough

ASU 1 is serious about this one.
Not GoodNot Good
Not Good

ASU 2 had a bad approach on this one. The yellow-soled water shoe is attached to Dr. O.'s foot.
Successful RescueSuccessful Rescue
Successful Rescue

The safety kayaker rescues Dr. O. A nice British guy then pulled her into one of the other rafts.


2nd July 2009

Loved your article
Glad you had the time of your life... Love ya
2nd July 2009

I'm glad you all made it through!
It's a quiet day in the college dean's office, so I've had a chance to look closely at the latest blog from ASU-Costa Rica. I really enjoyed the great pictures and amusing commentary from Chad. I did an overnight trip in a kayak once with my family on the San Juan River in Utah, but it was August and the water was pretty tame. Our adventure wasn't nearly as exciting as yours.... I love the caption showing Dr. Owens's yellow sole. I look forward to your group's safe return this weekend. Congratulations to all of you who made the trip and my thanks to Dr. Owens for organizing this wonderful opportunity for our students. Dr. Carol O'Connor
3rd July 2009

You Are Much Braver Than Me!
Looks like you guys had a blast. Glad it was you white water rafting instead of me!!
22nd July 2009

You're the man!
That's my nephew!!!! Great article! You have made ASU proiud.

Tot: 0.492s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0554s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb