Open "Mike" night


Advertisement
Published: March 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

I'm sitting here finishing off what has been the most delicious coconut smoothie I've ever had, my god it's amazing from a little place called Rudy's in Roatan. Actually all the food we've eaten so far this trip has been amazing.... we've found a new best friend in Mama Marie Sharp's chilli sauce, it's travelled with us since Belize, everywhere we go it's in Mike's backpack!!

We've finally added some photos for you to check out, click on gallery and have a look. Most of our photos are on the little camera and we're yet to find a cord that fits it, once we do we'll put loads more pics from our sailing trip etc on the site.

So we're in Roatan, on perhaps the most beautiful island we've ever seen, we've slowed our pace down so much we're finding a quiet stroll down the only main street quite arduous. That's not to say we're being complete lazy bums. We've snorkelled and dived each day. This morning we've dived literally 100 metres from the coast line to about 25 metres and saw a spotted eagle ray and a couple of sea turtles. Every night we've been in bed by 8.30 or 9pm... but we did manage to stay up until midnight two nights ago - all it took was a microphone and an audience!

We've met a couple of great travellers, including a few Aussies who heard Mike singing AC/DC "Highway to Hell" at an open mic night. We had a small problem getting Mike to understand that "peter" or "john" can also sing at open "Mic" night - and prising the borrowed guitar from him proved rather difficult as many of you have previously witnessed. In saying that the bar went from pretty much empty when he got up to close to full by the end of his set, he was pretty good!! Still, I refused to allow him to return the following night for karaoke. He's still sulking.

As much as we've loved the Caribbean it's time for the challenging part to begin - the real adventure. We had an opportunity to test ourselves before coming here to the Bay Islands. Leaving Placencia in Belize we had grand plans to catch an early water taxi to a spot where you then hike to a highway to wait for a chicken bus that may, or may not, come... to link up with a ferry that we might've missed, for a cruise up a river we weren't sure we wanted to see. We caught a plane.

But this time we're serious... our lack of spanish could prove an interesting challenge for us. I had my first practice at Wendys (a McDonalds style fast food outlet at San Pedro Sula airport). I practiced it out loud a few times to Mike, walked up and placed my order only to be met with a blank stare followed by a flood of spanish, not a single word of which did I understand.... our motto now is "we may not get what we ordered, but at least we'll eat!"

So wish us luck.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.794s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1315s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb