Copán Ruinas and Omoa


Advertisement
Central America Caribbean
November 8th 2005
Published: November 10th 2005
Edit Blog Post

We felt we'd seen Guatemala and it was time to move on to new country.
It was a very early morning for us, the shuttle picked us up at 4am outside of another backpacker-nest, Jungle Party Hostel. After an uneventful ride to the border we paid 10q's to get out of the country and 3USD to enter Honduras. More stamps in our passports, nice.
Ten minutes later we were in Copán and stayed at a very nice hotel: Via Via, which also had a cafe with delicious veggie-food.
The next morning we went to see the ruins and fought off all guides that tried to sell us their services. Also in Finnish: hyvaa paivaa and so on. We have already heard three different versions about the Mayan civilization and why it abruptly ended. Besides, we had three different guidebooks.
Copan is not nearly as impressive as Tikal or Palenque and we wonder if it was because it was the last one of the three. But it was nice, because it had a lot of hieroglyphes: pictures.😊
After an effective morning we power walked back to get our stuff. My (Anna) backpack broke, so I had to buy this guatemalan handicraft-bag which is impossible to carry...Which was nice, because we had to power walk across the town to our next ride. Surprisingly enough it was a big bus and looked safe enough: SCANIA. It took us to San Pedro Sula, aa three hour ride towards the caribbean coast. The city was not one we wish to go back to. The next ride was a smaller bus that went DIRECTO, DIRECTO, DIRECTOOOOOOOO to Puerto Cortéz. How full can those buses get?? Then the last one that took us to Omoa, was a chicken bus. By now we already know how to stand, not to fall, because do you really need to slow down if there are speedbumps ahead??? Seriously, some jumps you are 5cm off the floor. They are nice.
Now we are in Omoa, the Caribbean coast.

We are staying at Roli's Place, which seems to be the only habitable place; Pia's place had burned down 4 days ago...Not accidentally, we hear.
We have also got to know this former hippie German lady who runs a romantic restaurant; El Jardín Romantico, by the beach. She served us the most delicious tuna and wahoo dinners yesterday and breakfast this morning. She seems to be the only one that is open?
The place is literally a zoo. We are talking three dogs, a cat, seven birds (three big parrots and four small), a horse and once she had a spider monkey but had to get rid of him, as he peed on the dinner guest. Oh yes and of course the geckos falling down from the ceiling. The one's who know Anna well, know she was very amused...😉
Zoo or not, we recommend it. Too bad she didn't have more time to tell us stories about her hippie-travels!



Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0302s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb