we made it!


Advertisement
Published: June 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hello Dear Friends,

Nicole and I are exhausted, but we´re here in Chiquimula, Guatemala. Our United red eye flight from LAX to Guatemala City was uneventful (other than me being green with envy because little miss sleeping beauty slept from takeoff to landing). We arrived in G.C. at 5 A.M., took a taxi to the bus stop in not-so-beautiful but at least outrageously smelly G.C., then immediately boarded a chicken bus to Chiquimula.

It turns out there was quite a bit of construction going on, turning what should have been a 3 hour trip into a 5 and a half hour trip. As with all Latin American buses, it was filled to the gills with every possible space in the aisle filled with bodies. Per Nicole´s sweet suggestion, we made room for Yoselyne, a lovely, intelligent 6 year old with whom we spoke and played teacher. She was on the bus with her grandfather to visit relatives; she said her mom and dad were in the United States working, though she didn´t know exactly where.

The drive through the lush countryside was beautiful, with tons of rivers, lush green countrysides, and of course the requisite garbage almost everywhere. It was a good thing the bus arrived in Chiquimila when it did, for Nicole just had time to vomit the warm Coke we had been drinking (we were parched and desperate).

After a hot 15 minute walk we arrived at the Hotel Rodriguez. For $13 dollars a night we have a clean upstairs room with a sparkling swimming pool! After a swim we felt human enough to venture out to forage for food, ending up with corn tortillas, gouda cheese, huge red grapes, and fresh bread from the panaderia. After a 3 hour nap (about an hour for me) I woke up her sleepiness and here we are at a sweltering internet cafe. Tomorrow we plan to take a 2 hour bus trip to Flores, which is where we´ll stay before venturing into Copan.

Though warm, it´s not as hot as I thought it would be. The people here are TINY! The women seem to take great care with their hair, clothes, and make-up (which the men seem to appreciate). 😊 The people we´ve met have been kind, helpful, and sincere.

Nicole, as I thought, is an amazingly fun and flexible travel mate...I know we´re going to have a great time in Central America.

Love,
Mo

Advertisement



26th June 2007

:)
Glad you arrived to a sparkling pool after such a grueling trip! Kyle and I just arrived home after spending a week in Colorado with his family. Being that I hate to fly and get severely tense, I'm thankful to be home and relaxed. Continue to inspire us with your adventures! Have a great trip to Copan.
26th June 2007

Way to go girls!
Dear Mo and Nicole~ Was THRILLED to receive your email blog, I feel honored to be included!!! So excited for the both of you, would love to have snuck into your suitcase, LOL! Anyway, remember the primary rules for rustic travel: ALWAYS keep your purse/pack ON you, keep the doors locked in whatever car you're driving in, and whatever you do, don't split up. Sounds like silly stuff, but all three of those examples come from EXPERIENCE :))). Be safe, have fun, and please continue to post your adventures! Can't wait til the next installment. Big hugs and BEST wishes for a fantastic trip! Love, Cristal

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0389s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb