5 Caribbean Islands Famous for One Thing


Advertisement
Published: March 5th 2019
Edit Blog Post

If you've ever been to the Caribbean, you already know that it's home to some of the most beautiful sun-soaked beaches in the world. Each year thousands of vacationers flock to popular Caribbean island destinations for the opportunity to relax all day and party all night. While many of the islands in the Caribbean have achieved a great deal of fame, other, lesser-known islands have only one claim to fame. Here are five Caribbean islands that the rest of the world knows mostly for only one thing.



Nevis, West Indies

Located in the northern part of the West Indies, Nevis gives vacationers the ultimate island experience. From Medical University of the Americas to snorkeling with the impressive sea turtle and stingray population, there's something for everyone in Nevis. However, it is primarily known for being the birthplace of Alexander Hamilton. That's right, the American president, Founding Father, and subject of a hit Broadway musical (not to mention the face on the ten-dollar bill!) got his start on this picturesque island.



St. Michael/Bridgetown, Barbados

While lots of people have heard of Barbados, the first thing that comes to mind for many is that it is the birthplace of pop sensation Rihanna. Born in St. Michael and raised in Bridgetown, Rihanna grew up in a three-bedroom bungalow and worked with her father to sell clothing in a street stall. Die-hard Rihanna fans can visit Barbados to take a tour of her hometown, including the schools she attended and other significant points of interest in her life and career.



Martinique, Lesser Antilles

Despite being name-dropped in Kokomo, the Beach Boys' definitive ode to island living, Martinique remains one of the lesser-known Caribbean islands. Besides miles of tropical beaches and rainforests, Martinique is also home to Melee, a volcano which erupted in 1792, 1851, and twice in 1902. (Yes, that's why we refer to a chaotic disturbance as a melee.) The possibly-still active volcano changed the course of history in 1904, when the U.S. Congress voted to begin construction of the Panama Canal; originally, the canal was meant to be built in Nicaragua, but the presence of a dormant volcano there made people nervous after the two eruptions of Melee in 1902.



Saba, Lesser Antilles

Despite having Saba University on the island, this tiny, 5-square-mile island is not very well-known. However, movie buffs may have seen it without even realizing it! Saba can be seen as a silhouette in the original 1933 production of King Kong, and serves as the backdrop of Skull Island, the home of the iconic giant gorilla. In addition to its Hollywood connection, Saba is the perfect travel destination for Caribbean vacationers who prefer rocky hiking trails to beach life- just a 12-minute plane trip from St. Maarten, it's worth your while to experience this hidden Caribbean gem firsthand.



Canouan, Grenadines Islands

The island of Canouan is not exactly a household name for casual travelers, but it's certainly gaining traction with the social elite! More and more affluent people, including celebrities, pro athletes, and billionaires are flocking to Canouan for its obscurity in comparison to more well-known Caribbean travel spots. The exclusivity of the island gives them the freedom to vacation with their families and enjoy glitzy, glamorous hotel resorts, spas, and golf courses. If you happen to be rich and famous, or just want to pretend you are for a few days, Canouan is definitely the place to plan your next getaway!



Sometimes it's fun to vacation outside the box, especially if you crave a little more adventure than the standard Caribbean cruise ship offers. By taking a chance and visiting one of these hidden island treasures, you might just stumble on your new favorite vacation destination and have an unforgettable time!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0386s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb