The Hottest Spots to Visit in Turks and Caicos


Advertisement
Published: November 20th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Visitors are drawn to the Turks and Caicos Islands because of the relaxing atmosphere, sandy beaches and plentiful sunshine. Here are some of the best islands to visit in Turks and Caicos.

Grace Bay

Grace Bay is a traveler’s paradise where guests can take in the beauty of the surf. With over 12 miles of blanketed, soft sand and clear, turquoise-colored water, you’ll be able to enjoy everything from reef diving and sailing, to swimming and sun bathing. Grace Bay is also in close proximity to an assortment of shops, great restaurants and golf courses.

Turks and Caicos National Museum

While many visitors travel to Turks and Caicos for the excellent weather and world class beaches, the area is also rich in history. The Turks and Caicos National Museum showcases exhibits and artifacts of the islands’ history. Located in a historic setting, guests experience what gives the islands its character as they chronicle life as a slave, and learn about two of the area’s famous shipwrecks: the Trouvadore, the only known wreck of a ship involved in the slave trade, and the Molasses Reef Wreck, the oldest European shipwreck in the Western hemisphere.

Middle Caicos Caves

The Middle Caicos Cave System, home to some of the biggest limestone caverns in the Caribbean, is a great place to explore the hidden treasures of the Turks and Caicos. The caves are located approximately 25 miles east of Grace Bay, and can be navigated with a group or private tour. You will see stalactites and stalagmites, perhaps encounter some bats, and learn about the cave system’s past. With recorded history dating back to the 1880s, carved names and dates from that era are visible inside the caves, telling the story of TCI’s guano (bat manure) mining period.Based on discoveries of the 15th century artifacts, it is believed these caverns may have once served as a religious site as well.

Scuba Diving

With its crystal clear waters and an abundance of aquatic life, the Turks and Caicos archipelago is a world-class scuba diving venue. The Black Coral Forest reef is covered with unique black coral shrubs. As you dive deep through the forest, you’ll find some of the most brilliantly colored fish in the tropics. Elephant Ear Canyon is another favorite among divers. The area is home to the amazing elephant ear sponge, gobies, and a variety of other colorful fish and crustaceans. West Sand Spit is a third very popular diving spot; here, you’ll find schools of goat fish, stingrays and nurse sharks.

Beach Horseback Riding

Whether you’re an experienced rider or a novice, beach horseback riding is a popular activity for visitors in Turks and Caicos. The islands are home to several stables where guests can “rent” a horse for a day or an afternoon. You can take a guided tour along the beach, which includes being able to ride your pony safely into the ocean waters, the whole time enjoying tropical breezes whispering through your hair.

Boating and Cruising

Cruising is not only relaxing, it’s also a great way to take in breathtaking views of the ocean. There is so much to see! At Little Water Cay you’ll witness iguanas in their natural habitat. Fort George Cay is where many of the charter boats depart for snorkeling cruises. Whether you go during the day or watch the setting sun fade into the ocean, boating is an enjoyable way to experience the islands.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.448s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0897s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb