To Provo


Advertisement
Published: March 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Anchors Up at DawnAnchors Up at DawnAnchors Up at Dawn

The sunrise over Monument Beach Anchorage in Georgetown, as we were leaving Chicken Harbor.
Georgetown is often referred to as Chicken Harbor, seeing that it is the southernmost point that most cruisers travel. It is here that boats either turn back and return to the U.S. (the chickens) or continue south to the Caribbean Islands (the brave sailors). Last year we turned back but this year we are pushing on south, determined to bring the Rum Runner to Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, as well as the Windward and Leeward Islands. Although this is an uphill battle, we have to wait for the right weather conditions to travel against the trade winds (25-30 knots dead on the nose from here on out- fun, fun!) But occasionally you get lucky and the trade winds die down enough to motor to the next destination.

Well we must be really lucky, because an amazing weather window opened up for us. The trade winds were predicted to die down (less than 10 knots… unbelievable!) for over a week from the Bahamas to the coast of the Dominica Republic and Puerto Rico. This only occurs about 1-2 times a year, if at all. So we decided to take advantage of this calm weather and book it on down. So
Cape Santa MariaCape Santa MariaCape Santa Maria

Rounding Cape Santa Maria, heading South to Provo.
we hoisted anchor and left Georgetown by sunrise. We motored to the tip of Long Cay, around Cape Santa Maria (supposedly named after Colombus’ Flagship which ran aground on the nearby reefs), past the Tropic of Cancer (guess we really are in the tropics now!) and decided to keep on going south to Provo in the Turks and Caicos.

After 32 hours of motoring into the wind and waves I am happy to report that we made it to Provo- yohoo! We dropped anchor in a beautiful bay and had a celebratory rum and coke, cheers to the Turks and Caicos!




Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Provo!Provo!
Provo!

Our first anchorage in Provo- cheers to the Turks and Caicos!!! Nice tiki huts and resort.


Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0236s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb