Divali


Advertisement
Published: December 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

DivaliDivaliDivali

The celebration of light!
Our favorite part of traveling is that we get a chance to learn about other cultures, religions, and ways of life. That is why we were so excited to celebrate Divali in Trinidad. Divali is a Hindu Festival celebrated all over India. And seeing that Trinidad has the largest East Indian population outside of India, Deivali is celebrated here as well. So we set off to Chaguanas with our trusty tour guide, Jesse James, and a bus load of other cruisers to partake in this very special night.

Divali is the Festival of Lights that takes place on the darkest night of Kaartik, which is the night of the new moon in October. It is akin to New Year's Eve in that you put your past behind you and start fresh. But instead of fireworks, people light deyas which are small clay pots filled with coconut oil and a wick that burns thru the night. The entire town lines the streets and houses with deyas and Christmas lights- giving it a warm glow that is very beautiful. The deyas symbolize good conquering over evil, or light conquering the darkness, and represents a cleansing of the soul.

The first part
Deyas Deyas Deyas

Clay pots filled with coconut oil and a wick, which burn along the streets on Divali.
of the night was a short program put on at the Hindu temple. We were greeted by the sounds of traditional drumming by three men outside, which was fabulous. After taking off our shoes we went into the temple and got a brief tour. A man from the temple gave us the history of Divali and answered all of our questions. But the highlight of the program was watching a young woman perform traditional Hindu dances while the drummers played. It was quite a show.

Afterwards we were served a traditional dinner, curry pumpkin and curry potatoes and curry channa and a mango chow. All of this scrumptious food was served on a broad banana leaf with lots of roti wrappers, which we used to scoop up the curries. It was a delicious vegetarian meal. And then we were free to wander the streets, admiring all the beautiful lights and deyas. The streets were crowded with locals all celebrating Devali, Indian music coming from many houses, and everyone admiring the beautiful lights. We had a great time walking about and certainly enjoyed the Festival of Lights.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

JenJen
Jen

Inside the Hindu Temple to celebrate Divali.
DrummingDrumming
Drumming

We were greeted at the temple with traditional Indian drumming.
DancingDancing
Dancing

Traditional Indian dancing, part of the ceremony for Divali.
DinnerDinner
Dinner

A traditional meal for Divali, curried channa and potatoes and mango chow served with lots of roti on a bannana leaf- yum!
ChaguanasChaguanas
Chaguanas

The streets of Chaguanas all lit up with Christmas lights and deyas for Divali.


7th March 2009

Felicity
It' say under one of your pics. that the streets of Chaguanas all lit up with Christmas lights and deyas for Divali. But the village is Felicity and the road is Cacandee Road
19th November 2011

Divali
I love Divali and Felicity Hindu rocks
28th November 2011

those r beautiful pics......even though someone said its felicity but dat is still part of chaguanas

Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0315s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb