Bequia to St. Lucia (finally) Feb 12 - 24, 2012


Advertisement
Published: February 25th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We enjoyed our final days in Bequia listening to live music at some of the local restaurants and did our last provisioning for the trip north. We figured we should stock up on what was known vs. the unknown in the stores on other islands (you know bird in the hand). We planned on going directly to St. Lucia, however, we had heard about Cumberland Bay on the island of St. Vincent and decided we had... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 58, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

No stepping here!No stepping here!
No stepping here!

Just a few of the very large spiny urchins we saw while snorkeling.
Fun with CarolineFun with Caroline
Fun with Caroline

We had a great time visiting with Caroline. She spent much of her youth in England, but then returned to the Caribbean and is running a shop on the beach in Cumberland Bay. We had a great time visiting with her and learning more about her and her family.
Post card photo?Post card photo?
Post card photo?

One of the local boats set off by a beautiful blue sea while at Cumberland Bay.
Cumberland Bay, St VincentCumberland Bay, St Vincent
Cumberland Bay, St Vincent

Cumberland Bay is tucked in and is a great anchorage. We really enjoyed our few days here. We would definitely recommend this place to others, but don't want too many to come!
Our own little coveOur own little cove
Our own little cove

What a wonderful place to stay for a few days – we were fortunate to be “tucked away” in a small cove off the larger Cumberland Bay.
Stern tied to landStern tied to land
Stern tied to land

In Cumberland Bay you need to stern anchor and then take a line ashore in order to keep us facing into the swell. Alphonso helped us with taking the line when we came in and also untied us at 5:30AM when we left. This service only cost 20 EC ($7.50 US). It is a great deal as he was very helpful with the process and knew the best place to put us in the bay.
What a hill top villageWhat a hill top village
What a hill top village

A view of the village of Coulls Hill which is on the hill behind Cumberland Bay.
Cumberland BayCumberland Bay
Cumberland Bay

An overview of Cumberland Bay. It is tucked in nicely so it was very flat water in the bay. This day there wasn’t much wind so it was a good day to stay put and explore.
Black vs White BeachesBlack vs White Beaches
Black vs White Beaches

Not all beaches are white. The black beaches of St. Vincent are quite attractive and are pleasant to walk on.
Beautiful CoastlineBeautiful Coastline
Beautiful Coastline

A view of a couple of the black sand beaches that we saw while on a dinghy ride near Cumberland Bay, St. Vincent.
Waiting for boats to arriveWaiting for boats to arrive
Waiting for boats to arrive

Some of the “boat boys” waiting for boats to come in to the Bay. They come out and meet you to help you with the stern anchoring process and tying you up to shore.
What a lunch!What a lunch!
What a lunch!

We had a fabulous lunch at Mama Elma’s located on the beach. She makes everything fresh when you order it – the Creole kingfish was fabulous! The portions were large and very inexpensive.
The ChefThe Chef
The Chef

Here is Mama Elma posed in front of her place. We would definitely recommend stopping here for a meal or a drink. She has a great location, is very friendly and has great food.
Beautiful ViewsBeautiful Views
Beautiful Views

St. Vincent is definitely a volcanic island and the coast line is quite beautiful.
Definitely VolcanicDefinitely Volcanic
Definitely Volcanic

This close up shows some of the volcanic rocks that make up this island.
Always RainbowsAlways Rainbows
Always Rainbows

We continually are enthralled with the rainbows that we see when it rains.
SunriseSunrise
Sunrise

We were enjoying the sunrise at the end of St. Vincent on Valentine’s Day on our sail from St. Vincent to St. Lucia.
We Are Ahead of the RainWe Are Ahead of the Rain
We Are Ahead of the Rain

We were fortunate on our sail as we saw this rain coming, but it hit behind us – we were just ahead of it as you can see here.
Still Able to ReadStill Able to Read
Still Able to Read

Even though we had some wind and waves we still can read while sailing between islands. Bob definitely enjoys his kindle that he received as a retirement gift.
Water over the bowWater over the bow
Water over the bow

Finally got a photo of the water coming over the deck. We sure are glad that we have a dodger to protect us from this.
More Rain ComingMore Rain Coming
More Rain Coming

You can see that there is some weather over the Pitons which are located on St. Lucia.



26th February 2012

You guys...
...have no idea how much I admire you. Living la vida. Que bueno!!!!
5th March 2012

Love your blog
I love reading about your adventures. Good luck toJanice with surgery .
24th August 2012
What a hill top village

nable string
thank you very much for that photo.

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 26; dbt: 0.04s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb