St Vincent


Advertisement
Published: January 24th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Kingston, St Vincent Blog 23rd January 2020


St Vincent is the main island of the Windward Island's, its a steep and volcanic island with mountain ridges and waterfalls.



Another warm humid day with the saving grace that we were the only ship in port today.



Yesterday our view was blocked by a huge cruise ship which towered above the Aurora.



Once you get out of the dock area you can appreciate the town a bit more.

It was very tricky underfoot with very uneven pathways so quite difficult to get around.



The Kingstown market is full of colour and local produce where farmers bring in vegetables, fruits and fresh fish.



Away from the port area you come across a number of churches and cathedrals. St George’s cathedral (Anglican) was built in 1820, has a stained glass window originally designed for St Paul’s cathedral.

Further on you find St Marys cathedral (Roman Catholic) and the next church you find is the Kingstown Methodist church not much to look at from the outside but has some coloured windows on the interior.



We didn’t make it to the botanical gardens apparently the oldest in the Western Hemisphere established in the 1760s. It was to St Vincent that Captain Bligh (he of the famous mutiny) was sailing when the mutiny took place.

A descendant of one of the breadfruits he was carrying still thrives in the garden.



Great sail away tonight before heading to St Lucia.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 18; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0406s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb