Coconut Bay Beach Resort and Spa Review


Advertisement
Published: January 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

One of the testimonials posted on Trip Advisor about Coconut Bay Beach Resort and Spa says “It’s not the smartest sweater in your wardrobe, but the one you love to wear”. This describes the resort to a T.

Your first contact with the resort is when you are greeted by a friendly representative as soon as you exit customs at Hewanorra Airport. They introduce you to your taxi driver who whisks you to the resort in 5 minutes. A smiling group of bell hops unload your luggage while you check-in with a cold glass of champagne in hand. We were escorted to our room on the “Splash” side of the resort dedicated to families. It was just my husband and I and I was hoping for the “Harmony” side dedicated to adults only. But the receptionist said they upgraded us from a double bed garden view room to a king deluxe ocean view room, so we decided to give it a try. Luckily, the children were few because most had just returned to school after the Christmas holiday.

Our room was on the third floor (Room 310) and more spacious than I imagined. We had a king sized bed with a queen size sleeper sofa and a comfy padded wicker chair and coffee table. There was a built in chest of drawers that was also the stand for a standard 19 inch TV and two double sided louver door closets with rod and shelves and an electronic safe. There also was a built in desk and electric tea kettle station with tea and instant coffee, sugar and powdered creamer. We had sliding glass doors that led out to a balcony with a sweeping view of the family pool, lazy river and ocean with the Maria Islands Wildlife Reserve in the distance. The room was freshly painted in bright Caribbean style colors. The bed was dressed in a flower print fitted quilt and the mattress was harder than I’m used to, but I slept well every night. The bathroom was shiny clean, but a bit tired looking with a single sink, shower stall and toilet. Water pressure was good and hot water was plentiful. The hotel provides aloe based shampoo and moisturizer amenities daily in the bathroom. The A/C worked well and was at a steady 69 degrees Fahrenheit. There also was a ceiling fan to circulate fresh air when we preferred that over the A/C. Keeping the balcony doors open allowed us to listen to the ocean’s waves. The electric used here is the European type. Traveling from the USA will require a 3-prong adaptor for your appliances, chargers and laptops. The 4th floor rooms were recently upgraded with new mahogany furniture, pillow top mattresses, flat screen TVs and a mini refrigerator stocked with sodas, but the bathrooms are the same. Rooms on the Harmony side have the same layout. There are several connecting rooms with a king bed in one and two double beds in the other making a perfect set-up for a large family. The walls are a bit thin, so loud children or crying babies can easily be heard if they are located next door.

We checked in on a Monday when the weekly manager’s cocktail party is hosted on the Star Gazing Deck above the lobby. We arrived just in time for the champagne toast and introductions of the staff from all departments. A free raffle gave away prizes such as a sunset sail, couple’s massage at the spa, a picnic lunch and a gift shop gift certificate. I was lucky enough to win the 30 minute couple’s massage that was changed to a 50 minute full body massage because my husband is not a massage fan.

Dinner followed at Coconut Walk Restaurant. This is an open air casual restaurant just off the lobby that serves some basic food buffet style. Choices included a very fresh salad bar, two choices of soups, sautéed vegetables, fish, a carving station and a sauté station. Monday night featured Mexican type specialties such as chicken fajitas, rice and beans. The dessert table offered fresh fruit salad and an assortment of mini cakes and pastries. Drink service was provided by the wait staff. If you are in a rush for a drink with dinner, I suggest you visit the lobby bar first to get your drink and bring it with you to dinner.

The lobby bar offered entertainment by a local jazz and blues band who were quite good. We enjoyed an after dinner drink at the bar with Big Ted the bartender and then walked along the wooden deck that overlooks the beach. We hopped up on one of the Balinese day beds and gazed up at the beautiful star filled sky. We retired to our room and enjoyed a good night’s sleep after our long day.

I woke up refreshed in the morning and enjoyed a cup of instant coffee on our balcony as I watched the resort come to life. I took advantage of the in-room wi-fi for 24 hours at $9.95 charged to the room account. There was a good connection that allowed me to get some work done. We headed down to breakfast at the Coconut Walk Restaurant and enjoyed a carafe of delicious coffee delivered to the table by the wait staff. Breakfast is served buffet style and includes fresh fruit, cheeses, hash browns, home fried potatoes, baked beans, grilled tomatoes, eggs benedict and hard boiled eggs. There is also an eggs cooked to order and omelet station. Mary is usually the egg chef. Don’t be put off by her frown. Engage her in conversation and she will reward you with the biggest smile. There is another table filled with delicious pastries and breads. Be sure to try the banana and cinnamon rolls. Yummy !!

The activities staff hosts an array of activities every hour starting with either yoga or hiking at 8:30 AM. Aquacize was very popular at 11:00 AM taught by Anson or Marcellus. They gave me a great workout every day except Saturday and Sunday. Water polo, water volleyball, beach volleyball and an array of games and contests are conducted the rest of the day. The staff awards points for each activity and the person with the most points at the end of the day wins a prize.

We conducted a site visit at the resort to see all of the amenities offered. There are three pools plus a water park with two slides and a lazy river pool. The main pool is the family pool where the swim up pool bar is located. The pool bar has plenty of seating and even includes tables with umbrellas and stools in the water. It is a zero entry pool and there are several little islands with coconut palms and other foliage sprinkled around the pool and a waterfall. The activities pool is in the center of the resort, just off the open air lobby. This is where most of the activities are conducted and the only place most days that has stereo music playing. There is also an 8 person Jacuzzi located here with excellent jet power and hot water. The smallest pool is in front of the Harmony side of the resort and is for adults only. It is surrounded by coconut palms, trellises, and hammocks. The shack bar located here is one of the party spots at the resort. There is plenty of lounge chair seating at all pools, but shady spots are at a premium, mostly provided by the coconut palms. The water park is located at the far end of the Splash side of the resort and was fairly quiet while we were there, since there were few kids. There is also a small babies’ pool next to the lazy river. There were two water slides: one was enclosed and one was an open, twisty and turning one. The lazy river was a relaxing float around that took 15 minutes to make a complete circuit.

The spa is located on the far side of the adults only Harmony section. All treatment rooms have ocean views and treatments are reasonably priced. I really enjoyed my 50 minute massage that was valued at $75.00. The quality of the massage was quite good and my therapist was friendly.

All beaches in St. Lucia are public, but we were never bothered by vendors on the beach in front of the resort. There were some wood carvers always located at the beach entrance next to the Jacuzzi. The beach stretches for a mile that is perfect for strolling. Because it is on the Atlantic side, waves can sometimes make the sea too rough to enjoy a swim. Luckily, we had calm seas with small breakers that welcomed bathers. There are plenty of sun chairs on the beach at the far end of the Splash side with a few wooden umbrellas that provide a bit of shade. The beach volleyball net is also located at this end. A further walk down brings you to 2elements kite surfing school. You pay extra for lessons and equipment rental here, but the instructors seemed very dedicated to promoting the sport. They have various packages available. They say it takes about 10 hours of lessons on land and water to become fairly proficient. We enjoyed watching the participants sailing across the water and doing trick jumps.

We walked from the beach through the resort to where the Kidz Club is located. The resort sponsors activities geared just for kids, but the club was pretty quiet when we were there. Behind the club are stretches of coconut palms from the plantation days. This is where we found the three donkeys. They are usually tied to one of the coconut palms and love getting attention from the guests. They love to have their heads scratched and get really excited when you bring them apples from the breakfast buffet.

There is also a paint ball course that is managed by the activities desk at the resort. It usually costs $39.00 for a game round, but can sometimes be included in a resort promotional package. The resort is also in the process of building a go cart track that would be located between the Kidz Club and the paint ball course.

A fitness center is located behind the Harmony section of the resort. It was well stocked with tread mills, elliptical gliders and weights.

Reservations for the two specialty restaurants Silks (Asian) and Bellagio (Italian) must be made a day prior at the front desk. You can either call or go to the desk in person. We never encountered a line up and managed to get a reservation when we wanted. Dinner times are between 5:30 and 8:30 PM.

The specialty restaurants have a resort casual dress code, where men must wear long pants and collared shirts (polo shirts are O.K.). Ladies should wear a nice slacks set or sundress. Footwear should include shoes or nice sandals. Flip flops here are frowned upon. Children are not allowed in Bellagio after 7:00 PM. Service in both specialty restaurants was attentive but on Caribbean time. Remember you are on vacation and there is no need to rush. Just sit back, relax and enjoy the laid back atmosphere. Silk’s menu included spring rolls, hot and sour soup and an assortment of shrimp, chicken or beef in sweet and sour, black bean or pepper sauce with white or fried rice. Dessert included fruits and ice cream. Bellagio’s menu included fried calamari in chili sauce, antipasto, pasta in various sauces, risotto, chicken marsala, lasagna and strip steak with a peppercorn sauce. The fresh bread with olive oil was a nice accompaniment. Desserts included flourless chocolate cake and an excellent tiramisu. The food here could have been served at a hotter temperature. Overall, the food was good…not great. The presentation was done well and portions
Special Event StageSpecial Event StageSpecial Event Stage

Poolside BBQ Theme area
were just the right size. If you come from a big city with very good Asian and Italian restaurants, you will probably not be impressed with the food. But you’ll enjoy it nonetheless. The food is not the primary reason to come to this resort.

The resort hosts two specialty evenings. Tuesday night is Country Western night where the buffet is moved out to the family pool area. A big barbecue is set up and marinated flank steaks, BBQ chicken and ribs are the highlights of the menu. Corn on the cob, corn bread, baked beans and baked potatoes are all delicious. We thought this was the best food at the resort. The big stage hosts the local band Tropix and the activities staff leads the guests in line dancing. A number of us were line dancing at the beginning of the zero entry pool causing a splash. A great time was had by all. Big Ted and Sting Ray, bartenders from the lobby bar, keep the beer and tropical drinks flowing at the rolling bar. The other specialty night is Caribbean night on Saturday, when the BBQ team whips up jerk chicken, jerk pork and grilled fish. Beware of the local hot sauce. It is delicious but potent. The evening begins with a fashion show of clothing from the gift shop and Tropix again entertains with a bit of reggae and rock and roll. The activity staff keeps the crowd going with Caribbean dancing until the fire dancer finale.

Sunday afternoon is the beach party day. A DJ and rolling bar set up on the beach and a BBQ buffet is set up on the lawn overlooking the beach. Lots of dancing on the beach and in the ocean with plenty of cold Piton beer flowing.

The beach grill is the casual beach/pool eatery open every day from 10 AM to 1 AM. They grill up an assortment of sandwiches including hot dogs, hamburgers, spicy chiken and fish. They also have fresh garden and Caesar salads, French fries and fried onion petals. They are not the most efficient in serving up orders, but the food they make is always good. There is also fresh pizza and nachos with cheese sauce on the self serve side of the order counter. A soda and coffee machine are on the other side. A land side of the pool bar provides adult beverages. A BBQ grill is also set up in this area every day at lunch time that rotates choices including beef kabobs, marinated flank steak, ribs, chicken and fish. The Coconut Walk Restaurant also offers hot tray buffet lunch. A self serve coffee, tea and water cooler station is set up off the lobby. Bottled water is not served at the resort, but is available for purchase in the gift shop.

There are four main bars at the resort. The pool bar at the family pool was fairly quiet while we were there, due to the presence of few families traveling with children. The adult pool bar was the happening place. Small J is a legend on Trip Advisor and it was easy to see why. His infectious smile and shining personality really got the guests to engage in conversation with him and each other. He also had a trainee with him named Loan, and she was a doll. She had a smile that could light up a room and she made the most amazing chocolate monkey and dirty banana blended drinks. Those of us that frequented this bar all put a good word in for her
Small J and LoanSmall J and LoanSmall J and Loan

Bartenders Extraodinaire
with the food and beverage manager. Making her a bartender would be an asset to their staff. Mitch and Sting Ray occasionally filled in and also were a blast. The bar is filled with signed T-shirts and hats hanging from the rafters, thanking Small J for a great time. It was hard to find a spot on the bar to write our own words of thanks with the sharpee markers provided by the staff for this purpose. Every afternoon the bar gets packed to watch the lineup of planes that take-off between 3 and 5 PM. Shouts of “See you later suckers” emanate from the bar led by Small J. Some of the planes give a wing wave or a sharp banked turn to say good bye, since most of the flight crews overnight at the resort between flights. As guests leave the bar, Small J leads the group in singing “Na na na na na na hey hey hey goodbye”. The down side is that there is presently no music at the bar because it is supposed to be the quiet pool. I think they should consider changing that rule after 3 PM, since that area is anything but quiet once the party starts. The sales manager told me that the resort plans on building a bikini beach bar and grill restaurant on the opposite side of the spa. During the day, this would be a beach bar with music and a party atmosphere with beach volleyball etc. At night, it will turn into an elegant adult only restaurant with candlelight serving continental cuisine with filet mignon and lobster tail available for a supplementary fee. This will allow the quiet pool area to be just that. The lobby bar is the main bar. They made very good bloody Marys here and usually had quite a few people there in the morning after breakfast. The other popular time here was at dinner time when local entertainment was in full swing. Peter John’s was the nightclub bar upstairs from the lobby. This place usually starts rocking about 10:30 PM once the entertainment downstairs finishes. There is a small disco dance floor with seating inside the lounge, which makes it easy to converse at the bar and lounge seating area in the main part of the club. H is the bartender here and he makes a great tasting martini. Premium liquors like Grey Goose and Glenfiddich are available here for a supplementary fee of $2.00 or $4.00. You purchase tokens at the reception.

Junius aka Big J, runs the Adventure Desk and he’ll do a great job of hooking you up with one of the many excursions on the island. St. Lucia is one of the most beautiful islands in the Caribbean and offers a lot of options. Hiking up the Pitons, scuba diving and snorkeling, full day party sails, sunset sails, island tours including the volcano, waterfalls, banana plantations, rum distillery and shopping, beach tours, kite surfing lessons, kayaking, zip-lining, bicycling and horse back riding along the beach are some of the options available. We did the sunset sail from Soufriere along the west coast of the island past the Pitons into Jalousie and Anse Chastenet Coves. Captain Vincent from Mystic Man Cruises did a fine job on the 12 passenger sailboat. It was a perfect evening with an awesome sunset that showed the infamous green flash for the last split second as the sun melted into the horizon. We had a champagne toast to go along with the open bar and delicious appetizers and bar snacks. This was our fourth trip to the island which was why we didn’t participate in more excursions. We enjoyed just laying back and enjoying the resort. But if this is your first trip to the island I would recommend the all day sail with snorkeling, the island tour and one of the other more adventurous excursions like zip-lining or horseback riding.

The activities staff escorts two special hikes during the week. Tuesday mornings at 8:30 AM is a 90 minute hike to the top of Quarry Hill located just outside the resort gates. It is a moderate hike with a short, steep part at the end. Be sure to bring water and wear good walking shoes with a non-slip sole. It was great exercise and provided rewarding views from the top of the Coconut Bay Beach Resort, the airport, the ocean, the town of Vieux Fort, the sports stadium and the Pitons in the distance. The other hike is to market day in Vieux Fort Town. This was a 3 ½ hour excursion. We walked into town along the airport road and our leader Jason explained about the different tropical fruits and vegetables being sold along the way. The vendors spread out
View of the resort from atop Quarry HillView of the resort from atop Quarry HillView of the resort from atop Quarry Hill

Tuesday activity hike from the resort
their produce on a blanket on the sidewalk. There were hundreds of them, but most were selling the same thing. However, we didn’t see anyone buying anything. We stopped in at the local supermarket to buy bottled water and some local dark bottled beer. We came across one gentleman making handmade crocheted sandals on a leather base that were quite nice. But the sizes were too large for any of us. We visited a couple of shops and then went to Old Port Royale Restaurant. They had a lovely courtyard and a number of us enjoyed an ice cold beer. We walked a bit more, stopped at the duty free liquor store and then walked along the beach. We passed several horses wandering around the open fields. We stopped at the Reef Restaurant for another cold beer and watched the kite surfers for awhile. We continued down the beach back to the resort. A great time was had by all. Both of these hikes are included as part of the resort stay. I highly recommend attending both if you like to walk.

There is a wedding planner on site and the resort offers several garden and beach locations, including a lovely sea view gazebo. They offer a choice of flowers, decorations and music including jazz quartets and steel drum bands. We witnessed a very nice beach wedding set up with a trellis of red flowers and were lucky to be invited to the wedding of a couple from Wales that we met at the resort. Clive and Sara chose the gazebo as their wedding site. It was beautifully decorated with white tulle and flowers and taped music was played. The two tier wedding cake was set up on a table next to the gazebo that provided a fabulous backdrop for photos. After the ceremony, the cake and champagne were moved to the adult pool bar for the reception. It was a wedding to remember.

The resort controls bugs by fogging every evening at dusk. It is best to keep your room doors closed and seek a spot indoors during this time. One night we kept the adult pool bar open later than usual and suffered the ill smelling stuff for a couple of minutes until the sea breezes were able to dissipate it. It seems to do a good job of managing the insects. We didn’t see any while we were there, although some people complained they suffered a few bug bites here and there.

All in all, this is a great resort if you are looking for a simple vacation without fuss or muss. The rooms are not fancy, the facilities are not luxurious, but the landscaping is beautiful, the pools and beach are plentiful with gorgeous views everywhere you look and some of the staff will really brighten up your day. The food is simple and good; not imaginative or fancy. The drinks are very good and free flowing and the type of guests that come here are some of the nicest people we’ve ever met on vacation. This is a great value resort that delivers what it promises. If you are honeymooners or couples looking for a romantic escape, I would not recommend this resort during school holidays. While the resort does it best to put these folks in the adults only accommodations, there are lots of kids everywhere else in the resort. There were very few children there during our stay so it provided a better atmosphere for a romantic vacation. It is a great destination for families at any time, but especially during school breaks when there will be lots of kids to interact with each other. The staff is one of the resort’s biggest assets. They strive to make their guests enjoy themselves and from what I witnessed, they were quite successful. We spent 10 days here and are very well traveled. I can honestly say it was one of our favorite vacations and I recommend it highly if you like what you read here. I’d love to help you plan your getaway. Give me a call at 516-369-5738. www.tonitours.net



Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.446s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 14; qc: 71; dbt: 0.1238s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb