Livin’ la Vida Loca


Advertisement
Published: January 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Old San JuanOld San JuanOld San Juan

Pastel colors that make everybody pondering to imitate.
Friday, January 19, 2007 - Viejo San Juan, Puerto Rico

"So, you’re going upstairs later on?" Ricardo, my Hard Rock Café waiter asked me while delivering my second refill of cold Mt. Dew to my table. Meanwhile, I was struggling with my whole chicken, fried plantains and Spanish rice.

"What’s upstairs?" I blinked. Surely he wasn’t talking about the deserted second floor of Hard Rock Café?

"What?! You don’t know what’s going on? Why do you think people are packing up the streets of San Juan this weekend?"

"Err … Fiestas de la Calle San Sebastián?" Ah, of course. I put two and two together. He was talking about the biggest event of Puerto Rico, and Calle San Sebastián is relatively ‘upstairs’ from Calle Recinto Sur, where the HRC is located by the ferry docks.

"Yeah, man. Go check it out. I will be there after work and will be partying for about six in the morning". His Latin eyes were twinkling with passions for celebration, as 4 millions other puertoricans this weekend.

St. Sebastian, who was a Roman martyr of the early Christian movement, is the patron saint of young adults and athletes. One
Querites along the fortification wallQuerites along the fortification wallQuerites along the fortification wall

Puerto Rico's landmark and symbol: sentry boxes.
of the narrow coble stone streets in Old San Juan is named after him, and although there is no correlation between the saint and drinking our sins away, San Juan’s biggest excuse to get together and being drunk is happening on this weekend at the very street. A typical Latin American culture of linking religious celebrations with drinking event, I thought.

I flashed back on what have been going on in the past couple hours. Boarding the morning flight from gray and cold Charlotte, North Carolina, I was reading the January 2007 edition of US Airways magazine when the pilot announced a wonderful news from the overhead speakers:

‘Ladies and gentlemen, we will be landing shortly. Welcome to San Juan, Puerto Rico!’

That sounds like a warm breeze in my winter ears. I don’t think there is anything wrong with being an adventurous snowbird, escaping to the Caribbean for the first time.

As soon as I landed in San Juan’s Aeropuerto Internacional de Luis Muñoz Marín, my first instinct was to grab my passport with a minimum validity of six months, having the pre-filled immigration form ready to be inspected, and forming a line behind the
Figure of eightFigure of eightFigure of eight

One of the most essential tool to do some zip linings across a high waterwall cliff.
yellow line, waiting for Custom to clear. After all, it felt like arriving in a foreign land: Spanish signs, Latin faces, warm weather, different smell. Nope, I thought, this is a trick, and I convinced myself to embrace the new place. With a big grin on my face, I found myself walking out from the airport to warm, sunny and colorful San Juan.

Puerto Rico is considered as a U.S. Soil with a status quo (i.e. Commonwealth Status), officially since 1952. It has been part of the United States since American victory over the American-Spanish War in 1898 when bitter Spaniards were forced to surrender Puerto Rico, along with Guam, Cuba and the Philippines, to the newly-born super power of United States of America. The U.S. citizenship was offered to Puerto Ricans soon after in 1917, and today they are statutory U.S. Citizens, with some exceptions. They don’t participate in the presidential election voting, as they don’t have any representative in the U.S. Congress (but they do vote on a non-voting representative in the U.S. Congress as a Puerto Rico delegate). Puerto Ricans don’t have to pay federal income taxes, which must be nice, but they still need to
Calle San SebastiánCalle San SebastiánCalle San Sebastián

Calle de San Sebastian is where the focus of this weekend's activities. An excuse to celebrate something - and to party your arse off.
pay for federal payroll taxes of Medicare or Social Security.

As U.S. Citizens, they may enlist in the U.S. Military, and they have been participating in all modern U.S. Wars since WWI.

I was mildly surprise that not many Americans (let alone their international counterparts) know where Puerto Rico’s exact location in the Caribbean. It is part of the Greater Antilles, starting from the left (no pun intended) of big Cuba, then the second biggest island of Hispaniola which is shared by Haiti and Dominican Republic, and finally Puerto Rico as the trail of the group. Continue on to the southeast are US/British Virgin Islands and the rest of the Lesser Antilles, Antigua and Barbuda, down to finally Trinidad and Tobago before the South America’s Venezuela.

Zori, my host in San Juan from Couchsurfing.net, is a warm-welcoming lady. Her house is located in business district of Hato Rey, a couple blocks away from Domenech Tren Urbano stop. Thanks to her, I feel a warm welcome from sanjuaneros to stay in this population metropolis.

Puerto Rico is not a banana republic, it crowns as the highest life standard in the Caribbean, thus becomes an ultimate destination for
Fiestas de la Calle San Sebastián 1Fiestas de la Calle San Sebastián 1Fiestas de la Calle San Sebastián 1

An excellent excuse for sanjuaneros to get together and be drunk.
visitors mainly norteamericano. Although it is the highest per capita income in the Caribbean (and Latin America), its US$6,000 is only half of the poorest state in the Union, Mississippi.

Puerto Ricans are considered to be a population with one of the highest car-people ratio in the world; almost two people in Puerto Rico share one car. Imagine on how this small island, packed with around 3 million cars, which more than 70%!a(MISSING)re in tiny San Juan. Despite a US soil, San Juan is a chaotic place, just like its counterpart to the south continent. Stop signs are merely a suggestion for sanjuaneros, while red lights, if not a more stringent one, is also optional. Police cars and motorcycles are spotted everywhere, flashing their lights although they are not in an emergency call. Meanwhile, pedestrians are ducking around sidewalk, where most of cars are parked within one or two inches apart.

Back to the Fiestas de la Calle San Sebastián. I imagine this what Bourbon Street would have been like during Mardi Gras, with a latino twist. Narrow, cobbled stone street with pastel colors colonial structures, is filled with two stories bar and drinkers are everywhere. Occasionally,
Fiestas de la Calle San Sebastián 2Fiestas de la Calle San Sebastián 2Fiestas de la Calle San Sebastián 2

I never been in the Bourbon Street in New Orleans, but I would imagine this what it would've been like during Mardi Gras. With a latin twist.
marching bands or bomba dancers are trying to pass through the crowded street, which is visually impossible, but somehow manage to make their way through, miraculously.

It is definitely an excuse for sanjuaneros to drink and to party, ending the month long Christmas festivities. By nine o’clock, the street is packed shoulder to shoulder with party goers, and trying to get out to an emptier space is a challenge by itself. Meanwhile, Tren Urbano and público are sending in more people into the congested street. After having a couple of drinks, including the national drink of Medalla and some Jägerbomb, now I understand why Ricky Martin would refer it as ‘Livin’ La Vida Loca’.


Saturday, January 20, 2007 - Base of Rainforest El Yunque, Puerto Rico

Aventuras in Puerto Rico (www.aventuraspr.com) is definitely a thing to check out during a visit in the island. I signed up the Canyoning adventure a couple months a couple of months prior to this weekend to reserve a spot, and it is all worthed to wake up very early in the morning to catch the bus ride from Plaza San Patricio by 5:45 am. There were total of eleven of
Fiestas de la Calle San Sebastián 3Fiestas de la Calle San Sebastián 3Fiestas de la Calle San Sebastián 3

I never been in the Bourbon Street in New Orleans, but I would imagine this what it would've been like during Mardi Gras. With a latin twist.
us, all from the States (Utah, Colorado, Connecticut, Massachusetts and Georgia - moi!) and four crew members, which are very entertaining despite our early morning hour, trying to ‘sober up’. Rosario is the owner and motivational speaker of this trip, and he inspired us to know others and eventually become a team through courses of hiking, repelling, zip lining, swimming, and climbing waterfalls/cliff to name a few.

The location chosen was base of El Yunque, the only rainforest within the US National Park Service in the U.S. soils. Up above us were rainforest canopy, with occasion drips of dew to the muddy ground we had to walk on. After gearing up with appropriate harness, helmet and floaters, we were huffing and puffing, get very hot in the upper 80s, clinging along a 150ft cliff. At the end of the cliff was a zip line that brought us all the way to the base of a waterfall in a cold, murky fainforest river.

I am glad that I wrapped everything in hermetic sealed bags, including of my digital camera, my jamón lunch and some snacks. We learn pretty fast on how to click our carabiners safely to a rope,
Calle San SebastiánCalle San SebastiánCalle San Sebastián

St. Sebastian is a patron of young adults and athlete, and this street is named after him.
how to repel a cliff and how to jump off a 50ft height cliff to the cold water below. Aventuras was featured during the first MTV’s Real World/Road Rules challenge, where a set of activities were organized by the company, a couple years back.

At the end, our group becomes a team, and everybody is swapping our email addresses for further contacts.

I approached Viejo San Juan from a ferry originated in Cataño, after my Bacardi Rum distillation plant visit cancellation. El Morro, short from Castillo de San Felipe del Morro, or Castle of St. Phillip the Headland, is what most people would think of Old San Juan. It is the best preserved Spanish fortification castle in the New World, and declared as the UNESCO World Heritage Site. The foundation started in 1539, and for the next six centuries, the construction was on-going until what it is now. Overlooking the Atlantic Ocean down, La Perla (the Pearl) is no doubt the prettiest slum neighborhood in the world. Unfortunately crime rules the street of La Perla, as the favelas in Rio, or barrios in Mexico City.

A pastime of sanjuaneros has to be kites, as hundreds of them
Hard Rock Cafe San JuanHard Rock Cafe San JuanHard Rock Cafe San Juan

Well here we go again. My HRC routine, and glad to do it here in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
litter the El Morro ground of Campo del Morro. It feels like a daydream, watching them flying over us as the Caribbean sun sets for the day, leaving a purplish glowing athmosphere like nothing else in the world. Meanwhile, the sillouhette of palm trees and fortification castle are casting lasting impression of San Juan, as it has been for hundreds of years of its exixtance.

Thanks to Christopher Columbus who introduced sugar cane to Puerto Rico that becomes the main ingridients of Piña Colada, I’m addicted to the oh-it’s-so-tasty coconut refreshment. Almost every streets in Old San Juan sell Piña Colada, although there are no alcohol in the drink from street vendors. Try to get them from many bars of San Juan, and they put strong shot of Rum in the drink, wow. They come with plastic cups and one whole cherry, and it is the best way to refresh your day in a hot, sunny Caribbean day.

For the second night in a row, I headed back to Calle San Sebastián, as I’m more comfortable with sanjuaneros way of life. Exhausted from a long day, I decide to take it easy and head back to Hato Rey,
San Juan policemenSan Juan policemenSan Juan policemen

Lots of police everywhere to secure the festival over the weekend. This is policemen from the Sagrado Corazón Tren Urbano stop.
and sit down on my porch, listening to the chirps of famous Coqui, Puerto Ricans tiny frogs that produce ‘Ko-Kee’ sounds that more like those of a bird’s. Mosquitoes are a little tame around here this time of the year, but unfortunately a bigger flying problem haunts my nights here in Hato Rey: we’re under the direct path of airplane flights to LMM Airport.


Sunday, January 21, 2007 - Hato Rey, San Juan, Puerto Rico

The second fort in Old San Juan is the less famous Castillo de San Cristóbal, or St. Christopher Castle, which is the biggest Spanish fort in the New World, claiming a 27 acres region. Legend has it that Santa Barbara, the Patron Saint of Artillerists, protected San Cristóbal during American-Spanish war in 1898 when a bomb dropped by the U.S. Army didn’t go off when it landed on the small chapel’s roof. Go figure.

UNESCO protects both El Morro and San Cristóbal, along with about a mile of La Muralla de San Juan, or fortification wall in between, including many querites, or sentry boxes and the red Puerta de San Juan. Sentry boxes become a symbol of San Juan, and are
Aventuras - cliffAventuras - cliffAventuras - cliff

Jason (from Utah) is clinging over a high cliff in the base of El Yunque rainforest.
located strategically along the wall with long slit openings. With the avg height of Spanish soldiers of 5’-0” back then, it is no wonder that they have such a low roof.

There are a lot of American mainland tourists that come from the two gigantic cruise ships of Adventures of the Sea and Royal Caribbean, which are docked in the San Juan Harbor. Tourists are spotted like a sore thumb here, as we’re dressed up differently from sanjuaneros. Fashion is definitely a statement, more fashionable than the US mainland, but as casual as Europeans. The youngters are mostly wearing t-shirts, jeans and sneakers, and I notice on how much Pumas are everywhere. The ratio is very high, I would say 4 out of 5 guys here are wearing Pumas sneakers. I ran into a Puma outlet in Calle del Cristo, which is very appealing look with the typical Old San Juan look.

As the day goes on, I realize that I need to start heading to the East, continue on with my adventure. So I abide good-bye to Viejo San Juan, riding my bus and Tren Urbano back to eventually Rio Piedras to catch a público that brings
Aventuras geared up!Aventuras geared up!Aventuras geared up!

I am ready for everything we will experience today.
me to Fajardo, a city in the east of the Island.




Additional photos below
Photos: 49, Displayed: 31


Advertisement

First zip liningFirst zip lining
First zip lining

Cami (from Utah) is zip lining to the cold water below.
Climbing downClimbing down
Climbing down

Just one of the waterfalls we see over our adventure journey at the base of El Yunque rainforest.
Group photoGroup photo
Group photo

Look very innocent, but it was a struggle to get to that island, including a 50ft jump off a cliff to the murky, cold water below.
Swimming acrossSwimming across
Swimming across

It is a good thing that I am used to 'egg beater'-ing from my water polo practice.
Rock climbingRock climbing
Rock climbing

Looking down to what I just conquered, a cliff climbing.
Hiking through a rainforestHiking through a rainforest
Hiking through a rainforest

Taking a short break from hiking the humid yet comfortable rainforest.
A snail's perfect nautillusA snail's perfect nautillus
A snail's perfect nautillus

A native snail of El Yunque rainforest.
El MorroEl Morro
El Morro

I am standing in front of San Juan's famous landmark, El Morro.
La PerlaLa Perla
La Perla

Atlantic Ocean clash to the shore of La Perla, a dangerous but yet the prettiest slum in the world.


26th January 2007

Exclamation up-side down!
I am really glad that you are living La vida loca, la vida es una sola y lo mejor es aprovechar cada momento. Now, you translate this. Hey! you are on the way to became "poliglota" that means in spanish a person who speak more tan 3 languages -like you- at least you are trying :o) Muy bien Halef
31st January 2007

wahhh lef keren2... gile loe asik banget maen di PR nya... sama sekali gak kayak gue yg cuma bengong nonton tv dan jemuran di pantai haha.. laen kali kalo jalan2 ajak2 loe ah... ya udah sok kapan atuh ke ny? jane
11th February 2007

Wonder boy
hello Halef.Your pics are very nice,some of them remind me when I was in Puerto Rico.You too are very nice.Lots of love and kisses from a fan in Tenerife,Canary islands.
24th June 2007

thanks for lovely pics
i love puerto rico and appreciated your pics and commentary. I went to inter-american university in san german, p.r. in 1968-70 and fell in love with this beautiful island maybe i will retire there.
16th September 2009

Great Blog
Hi.. I found this Blog is really usefull and informative for traveler. keep Improving and allow me to have opportunity to get the up dates. Rgds Irawan Alwi

Tot: 0.454s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 28; qc: 128; dbt: 0.1723s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb