It's Like Being Your Own Lawyer


Advertisement
Panama's flag
Central America Caribbean » Panama » Panamá » Panama City
January 10th 2011
Published: June 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 8.99427, -79.5188

Isabel would never have let this happen.

We'd planned to spend three days in Panama City, take the Canal train to Colon on the Caribbean side, then a bus to Portabelo where we'd stay for 2 days, then return to PC to catch the flight back to Costa Rica on the 13th.

We had NOT planned on a holiday. Panama really knows how to holiday. After our fiasco "English" city tour yesterday the manager of the hotel tried to make up by giving us a $30 refund and offering the hotel shuttle (normally strictly for airport transfers) to take us to the train station this morning.

So we get up 2 hours early (our wake-up call was a little over zealous), pack and haul our gear downstairs and try to explain to the overnight desk clerk what the previous shift had arranged.

Oh no, she says in horror. The shuttle is only for airport transfer.

Yes, but we worked it out with your boss yesterday so it could take us to the train station at 5:30. Oh, but I only have one driver today because it's holiday and he doesn't return until 6:00.

Can you call your boss, I ask.

Oh, the train it is not running today, she says. It is holiday.

Can we take a bus, I ask reasonably.

There are no buses, she answers to the idiot American. IT IS HOLIDAY.

I'm getting it.

There's no shuttle, no train and no bus. It is holiday. Re-check into the hotel and go back to bed.

Done.

Isabel would have had us in Portabelo yesterday already to enjoy the holiday on the beach. But when you're your own travel agent it's a lot like being your own lawyer.

Advertisement



11th January 2011

Sounds like great fun!!!! It was 24 below in Marion this morning and we have a ton of snow, so enjoy yourselves in that warm weather. We have book club Thursday night and have two books to discuss, but you already know all of this as I didn
't take your name off of the list. dah! One of my old friends from bridge , just moved into the neighborhood so might ask her if she'd like to join our club. Can't think of anything else so have a great winter!!!
11th January 2011

Thanks for the note. I miss you guys. Keep warm and we'll have more warm weather adventures for you.

Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0499s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb