Day 4 - Leaving Panama City


Advertisement
Panama's flag
Central America Caribbean » Panama » Panamá » Panama City
February 25th 2007
Published: March 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Best Meal DealBest Meal DealBest Meal Deal

Breakfast and combo meals, for only one dollar.
It's now Sunday and we are heading out of the city to begin the rest of our adventure. Leaving Panama City, we wind our way through the market area and try to find our way to Puente de Las Americas...that bridge we could see from a distance while in Amador.

As usual, signage is hard to read and anything on any of our maps is suspect. During a long wait in traffic, right in the middle of the busiest, most crowded and densest open market area of the city, we see a sign for food that Richie just must take a photo of....comida (food or meals) for only a buck! What a deal. However, we must still find our way to the bridge over the Pacific end of the canal so that we can be on our way west and then south, in search of El Valle....a town that sits in the middle of an ancient volcano caldera.

We remarkably make it to the bridge, but again, more by accident than anything else. As we depart, we think about a few of the folks we met during our city stay who made us feel welcome regardless of any language
Waiter at Martin FierroWaiter at Martin FierroWaiter at Martin Fierro

This was our waiter at Martin Fierro steakhouse...again, can you beat these welcoming smiles?! He provided some of the best service we had during our entire trip...more American in style and speed than most other places, but still very laid back compared to what most of us Americans are used to and likely expect.
barriers. I am posting their photos here instead of going back to the earlier postings.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Bartender at city pubBartender at city pub
Bartender at city pub

An engaging bartender at a local outdoor pub set just outside a larger indoor restaurant and night club, right in heart of the casino district.
Friendly FolksFriendly Folks
Friendly Folks

Others enjoying the little outdoor pub. Can't remember the name.
Bartender at the "Americano" HangoutBartender at the "Americano" Hangout
Bartender at the "Americano" Hangout

We were steered to "La Terraza" one night in the city where many expats hang out. We met an American named Jim (not in photo) who took us to a couple other places before we all headed home. This is our bartender Jaime, along with some local yokels sitting at the bar. First place we heard any English being spoken. Also, notice the American cigarettes. The guy is pulling out a Marlboro light...and NO...I didn't have a single cig or puff while on vacation!


Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.087s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb