Transit Panama Canal, Panama


Advertisement
Panama's flag
Central America Caribbean » Panama » Colón
January 20th 2008
Published: July 14th 2015
Edit Blog Post

This transition was pretty much like the previous one - except, of course, in reverse. We arrived at the eastern end of the canal at Port of Colón (Crisóbal). We waited to join our convoy of other vessels preparing to transit the canal. The general direction of the canal passage from the Atlantic to the Pacific is from northwest to southeast, because of the shape of the isthmus at the point the canal occupies. The Puente de las Américas (Bridge of the Americas) at the Pacific side is about a third of a degree east of the Colón end on the Atlantic side. Still, in formal nautical communications, the simplified directions "southbound" and "northbound" are used. So we were travelling southbound. From the formal marking line of the Atlantic Entrance, one enters Limón Bay (Bahía Limón), a large natural harbor. The entrance runs for some 5½ miles (8.4 kilometres) and provides a deep-water port on the Atlantic end known in Spanish as Crisóbal.

We passed under the Atlantic Bridge and continued on to the Gatun Locks . A two mile (3.2 kilometre) channel forms the approach to the locks from the Atlantic side. The Gatun Locks are a three-stage flight of locks 1¼ miles (1.9 kilometres) long that lift ships to the Gatun Lake level, some 87 feet (27 metres) above sea level. We exited the locks into the Gatun Lake which is an artificial lake formed by the building of the Gatun Dam and carries vessels 15 miles (24 kilometres) across the isthmus. It is the highest canal stretch, fed by the Gatun River and emptied by basic lock operations. From the lake, the River Chagres - a natural waterway enhanced by the damming of Gatun Lake, runs about 5¼ miles (8.5 kilometres). Here the upper Chagres River feeds this high level canal stretch. Next we transited the Culebra Cut which slices 7¾ miles (12.4 kilometres) through the mountain ridge then crosses the continental divide. We continued sailing southwest through the canal and passed under the Centennial Bridge for the second time in a few months. This bridge was built to supplement the Puente de las Américas and to replace it as the carrier of the Pan American Highway. It opened in 2004 and became only the second permanent crossing of the canal.

We negotiated the single-stage Pedro Miguel Lock, which is ⅞ miles (1.4 kilometres) long, and is the first part of the descent with a lift of 31 feet (9.4 metres) and entered the artificial Miraflores Lake1⅛ miles (1.7 kilometres) long, and 54 feet (16 metres) above sea level. Sailing on into the two-stage Miraflores Locks. These are 1⅛ miles (1.7 kilometres) long, with a total descent of 54 feet (16 metres) at mid-tide. From the locks we entered Balboa Harbour and then passed under the Puente de las Américas into the Gulf of Panama.

It took the whole day from our start on the Caribbean side at Cristóbel through to Balboa on the Pacific side next to the capital Panama City. There were some differences, like 3 cruise ships coming through with us including Island Princess which was behind us for starters but we overtook otherwise things were pretty much as before. We had a better vantage point though - with our posh cabin and private balcony. We also saw crocodiles on this transit. The commentary over the ship's address system was excellent with lots of stories of heroism and tragedy that took place during the canals's construction. The transit of this magnificent canal is as good a day as any port day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0689s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb