The Emera Tribe


Advertisement
Panama's flag
Central America Caribbean » Panama » Colón
January 25th 2009
Published: February 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

This small village arose from the river after an hour and a half long bus ride and 40 minute canoe ride into the jungles of Panama. As our canoe came closer I could see children playing in the waters and hear music being played in the distance. The village consists of only 18 small huts, one for each family of this small Indian tribe. These are the indigenous people of Panama.

With no modern day appliances I wonder how these people keep in contact with the outside world. I also wonder how in the world they cooked the lunch of fish and fried plantains to perfection with no spices or flavorings except for what is found in nature.

The children played together as any child would, swimming in the river or playing hand games, singing and dancing and running around the village. It's hard for any Westerner to imagine the life of these children, and one may start to feel sorry for them knowing that they will never experience life in the big city or have an internet blog to attend to. I think these children are lucky. It's simply them and the land out there, and they have no idea what they are missing.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

CraftsCrafts
Crafts

I bought this mask


Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0377s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb