Melting in Panama


Advertisement
Panama's flag
Central America Caribbean » Panama » Chiriquí » David
November 24th 2015
Published: November 25th 2015
Edit Blog Post

We are spending more time at our condo and lazing in the pool. The heat continues with a slight cooling when the clouds roll in at around 4:00 making the evening absolutely perfect at around 80 degrees.

We have unlimited internet, TV with some English channels for $39.00 a month. The owner of our unit left some great adventure books which I am thoroughly enjoying. Life is good!

We usually head to the Bar for happy hour and to people watch. We have met some English speaking expats, one took us to a Canadian owned Bar with a great view of the Central Park. There is a Canadian couple at our condo who have travelled extensively through Central America, they are a great source of information. We have been invited to the American Thanksgiving celebration which takes place at a nearby Hotel. They promise turkey with all the trimmings. Hope they don't over cook it like they do chicken.

We have braved restaurants with no menu where the waitress lists the 3 choices for the day. We find it extremely difficult to understand what they are rattling off. Beef is very tough as it is too lean, chicken
A typical street with vendors in DavidA typical street with vendors in DavidA typical street with vendors in David

We don't leave home without an umbrella, for shade and the rain, a face cloth, to wipe perspiration, and a water bottle that can be refilled at most restaurants.
is usually quite dry but the best choice. The food is bland, the only redeeming factor is that a meal for two is usually $5.00 to $7.00 dollars usually accompanied by a pitcher of ice cold water. The water is good here, we drink the tap water. We were without running water for 3 days last week due to a broken water main. Apparently during the dry season the water does get turned off periodically. We are just entering the dry season now.

We took the bus to Boquete again to get rental contacts for next year in case we come back. It was 35 degrees with the humidity in David and about 23 degrees and really windy in. They had just had a week of rain and now the winds are up for several weeks. We then remembered why we had chosen the heat of David instead of the cooler wetter weather of this mountain town. We did get some contacts just by talking to English people on the street and checking the bulletin board at the supermarket.

In the end, we like the warmer weather and our little Oasis with the pool.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Skinny street dog, I gave her my over cooked chickenSkinny street dog, I gave her my over cooked chicken
Skinny street dog, I gave her my over cooked chicken

They are everywhere, they don't bark or growl at you but they look starved and in poor shape. We feel sorry for them but everyone seems to just ignore them.


Tot: 0.207s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 46; dbt: 0.099s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb