Bastimentos


Advertisement
Published: June 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Bastimentos


I thought I would stay for 2-3 days but it turned out to be something like 8 days. Not that I liked it so much in the beginning, but there's something about Bastimentos that makes you get stuck. The carribean rain delayed the exploration of the island a bit, but then, the more I saw the more I liked it. There are amazing beaches you can walk along. Wide, white, empty beaches... Just beautiful. And I met some very nice people and ended up having a great time!

Bastimentos town is not more than one street along the sea. I heard it was a very quiet place where you could just enjoy nature.. But with the heavy reggeaton from the bars and houses it wasn't what I expected.. Crossing the tip of the island though (very muddy after the rain...) you get to Wizard beach, which is a beautiful white beach. Not a lot of people are there, and if you continue, you get to totally empty beaches.. There's one beach called Red Frog beach after the endemic Red Frog, a little strawberry that lives only there in the whole world. You would think the Red Frog Project on the next beach worked for the favor of this frog, but no.. It's actually a resort being built, tearing down loads of rainforest to make a golf court and a casino. So I try pass by it without being too angry and get to Polo beach, where this old man has lived more or less isolated for 40 years. He is a legend and people come out there just to see him. He was offered plenty of dollars for his land as well, but was the only one to say no and answer with a number 10 times higher. And he's a poor man. Impressive character.

Out from his beach I went snorkeling and saw my first eagle ray! It was very shallow and very close to shore, amazing!! Later on, I also went for a dive (closer to Bocas) but wasn't too impressed cause there was a lot of dead coral, and I guess I'm very spoiled after diving in the most amazing waters... Anyway, it's always nice to dive.

One local guy told me he sometimes had tours to look at the turtles that come up on the beach. I didn't know what to believe, what did this rasta man want? I guess it wouldn't be impossible and I got a few people with me from the hostel to go out and search the beach. It's always nice to go for a hike at night, so why not? After hiking up and down the beach a few times, with little help from the moonlight, we bumped into a huge leatherback turtle laying eggs. We were all stunned and sat down to be a part of this incredible natural event. We could hear her heavy breath and she seemed exhausted. It was a very special moment, as everyone was amazed and took part of it in silence. After she was done covering the nest she paddled back down to the sea and we were woken up back into reality. We enjoyed the beach and the stars at night and then hiked back. Something moved in the grass and I saw an armadillo! Like if the turtle experince wasn't enough... I slept pretty well that night...

I love the way the houses lie on the water. You get to the island by boat and the captain will drop you off where you want. That means that usually people who live there get off on the porch of their house.. I love it! See the pics.

So much happening over here, I can't write about it all, you just have to come down here and experience it all with me. ; )

H



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



14th June 2006

Envy
This place sounds like my idea of heaven. Reggaeton, red frogs, and beaches!!! You have a great gift at photography that just seems to capture the atmosphere of the place. More updates of your adventures please!!
17th June 2006

wow!i love your stories
hi there girl! i realy love getting your blogs because it gives me a little taste of the great world outside...it opens up my mind....send more...and hope i see you soon...luv tammy

Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0253s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb