The Beach in Panama (2010 S&S Productions)


Advertisement
Published: June 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

To Bocas del Toro, Panama


Crossing the borderCrossing the borderCrossing the border

between Costa Rica and Panama.
After leaving the scary jungle and entering the city for a couple of days, we headed south, crossed the border and ended up on Isla Colon in the Bocas del Torro region of Panama.

Laid back is the aim, laid back is our game. As soon as we got off the boat and after checking out a few hostels we lucked out at a place where we had air con, en-suit bathroom, a nice bed and wardrobes… a good place to rest up after a few weeks of hard work and unfortunately both of us coming down with a fluey/cold/cough/chest thing. Hotel Brisas we love you, only meant to stay one night… but six later we’re still here.

The most peculiar string of events have happened to us in the last few days, you wouldn’t believe*. On our second night we were sitting on our ‘private diock’ playing backgammon when a fairly small boat pulls up asking for directions. Obviously, being new, we couldn’t direct them and told them so. They seemed quite nice and friendly, knowing of Levenshulme, Marple Bridge and Totnes we automatically struck a bond. They invited us on their boat for a scoot around this part of the island.

We had no idea that they would show us a map.. a map showing a place so special that only a few people know. Located on a lagoon, hidden on an island closed to the public. Well, after they dropped us back on the dock we decided that not to investigate would be against the spirit of our trip.

That night we packed just a few items in to black bags and headed to the outcrop closest to Manglares, the island hidden from most maps and tourists.

After catching a couple of hours shut eye on the beach we tried to persuade local fishermen to take us to the island, even with a few dollars (balboas) in our pockets they wouldn’t accept and in fact looked a little scared. Well that wasn’t going to put us off, we figured the distance was around 5 km and thought with a good brekkie inside us we’d make the swim. So off we went.

It wasn’t until half way we realised that there are sharks in the area.

Luckily the journey only took us four hours. Arriving on the beach early afternoon, exhausted and thirsty we amazingly came across a natural spring, sprouting the freshest, cleanest water we’ve ever had.

According to the map we were to head in to the jungle for a couple of miles, head up a river for another few miles and then we were to find the ‘treasure’. So we head off, black bags around our waists and Steve wielding a machete paving the way.

After scrambling up a few hills and following the water course as per our instructions we hit a massive waterfall (MASSIVE waterfall). Well, our adventure had brought us this far, it would be ludicrous to turn back now, in fact pretty dangerous. So we jumped. 50m in to the unexplored pool below. Both of us made it, luckily, but this was a reminder that this is real life and not a film.

After being picked up by a guy congratulating us for getting so far and looking very much like a character out of ‘The Beach’** we decided it was time to go back to Hostel Brisas for some grub and wine.

Phew that was a close one.

Since, we’ve spent most of our time chilling out and getting better with a bit of snorkelling. Much less adventurous, but exactly what we needed.

Love

S&S

XXX

*I wouldn’t believe it if I were you
** The Beach is an actual film based on a book by Alex Garland starring Leonardo DiCaprio



Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

SquirtSquirt
Squirt

Awesome name
Steve on our dock before being picked up..Steve on our dock before being picked up..
Steve on our dock before being picked up..

by the guys with the treasure map.
These guys are everywhere.These guys are everywhere.
These guys are everywhere.

Last night we saw a rat.
Walking to our outcropWalking to our outcrop
Walking to our outcrop

to take us to the island.


29th June 2010

Uhmm... I was just about ready to admonish you for being so reckless when I got to the part about jumping over the waterfall which got me thinking of The Beach....the map should have done it really!! Love your private beach though. Glad you managed a few days to recover. lots of love xxxx
29th June 2010

Maybe you should write a book about your travels? Nxxx
29th June 2010

Exciting beyond measure
Fantastic descriptions and photos bring the whole trip to life. I can't wait for the book, and then the film. But what was the "treasure"? Are you allowed to say? Love Cyril x
29th June 2010

You sillys
For a start there is NO WAY Sheryl would swim in water without checking out the shark situation first.... ;)
29th June 2010

Beers
Also, loving the compilation of beers of the world thing you've got going on. Will have to make you some kind of photo montage when you get back :)
29th June 2010

MAD
Best private beach so far! xxxxxx
29th June 2010

Book?
Maybe we should call it The Beach? ;) x
29th June 2010

Ooooooo a film..
I wonder who would play us? Lovely to hear from you, Cyril. I hope is well with you. Lots of love xxx
29th June 2010

Beers..
We were thinking of something similar. I think they'd make awesome coasters. MMMmmm beer. xx
9th July 2010

Heart failure
You are both very good at winding me up - lucky your father spotted the asterisks which confirmed the suspicions aroused by the word "map"! Sorry not to have been in touch but France appears to be less well supplied with Wi Fi than remotest Central America.
14th July 2010

Hi Lesley
Sorry about that, we were finding it difficult to write much because we didn't do very much. Hope you had a lovely time in France. Love to you all. xxx

Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0536s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb