Mountain Bikes, Pigs and Springs


Advertisement
Published: July 2nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

the Road less traveled...the Road less traveled...the Road less traveled...

Our concrete went into dirt...
Today, we rented mountain bikes and trekked our way around the Maderas Volcano, exploring the really remote areas and towns. No cars, no electricity in most homes and the people travel via horseback. Chickens and wild pigs run the terrain and we came face to face with many cattle and bulls.

The ride was a tough one. We rode from Santa Domingo almost half way around the volcano to a town called El Corozal. No paved road after Santa Cruz and the deeper we got into the volcano area the tougher the terrain, much of which was uphill and very rocky. Two hours into it, we had to decide whether or not we could move forward and make it all the way around. We didn't have a map to guide us; it was so remote we had no-one to ask. I knew the more we trekked forward the harder it would be to get back.. I opted for us to take the safe route and head back. Now looking at the map, I see we made the right decision. At the rate we were going, the terrain and the distance - it would have taken us another 8 hours to make it around.

After the four hour mountain bike ride, we visited Ojo de Agua, mineral cold springs, for a swim. Natural spring pools surrounded by lush vegetation made for a scenic stop. I've never seen such sparkling clear water; perhaps the minerals from the volcano make the water so clear. Ojo de Agua was very popular with the Nicas who reside on the island as well as tourist backpackers.

Right now, we are enjoying a nice breeze, the sound of the waves from the porch of our little cabin overlooking the lake.

The next few days will be busy - for the most part travel days. We leave for Managua early in the am- via bus, ferry, bus and taxi, have a night there and then a 5 am and 12 hour international bus that will take us across the border, deep into Hondurus.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Steve, the road is looking like it's endingSteve, the road is looking like it's ending
Steve, the road is looking like it's ending

We biked deep into the volcano area, and there are only local farmers, no cars...no tourists.
Off to the local springsOff to the local springs
Off to the local springs

They were cold!!!!
Ready to freezeReady to freeze
Ready to freeze

Felt great after a 6 hour mountain bike ride. We were ready.


Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0631s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb