Ferry, Sunsets and Lake that Roars Like an Ocean


Advertisement
Published: July 2nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

The trip to Isla de Ometepe was enjoyable. We took an early am chicken bus into Rivas to catch a cab to the ferry terminal. Instead of the typical cab, we opted for something less conventional- travelling via a cart being pushed by a local kid on a bike. He pushed, huffed and puffed the whole way until he dropped us 6 km away from Rivas at the Port of San Jorge.

The port had many old, clunky, rickety boats and offered two choices for our ride across Lake Nicaragua to Ometepe, a large ferry or a lancha - smaller boat. It's very windy here and the lake turns high waves so much so it seems like an ocean. The lanchas appeared to get beaten and soaked so we choose comfort instead. We took the big ferry and arrived an hour and half later in the Port of San Jose del Sur. Took a short walk to the main road and hitched a ride on a bus. The bus was wall to wall with people with no room for our packs - there was no avoiding it this time - the packs went on top. Luckily, after the 45 minute bus journey we arrived out our hotel with bags in tow.

We are staying in Playa Santo Domingo in the middle of Isla De Ometepe and it's two volcanos. The hotel has rustic charm, surrounded by the water and all you can hear is the roar of the waves.

The town is quaint and small with just a few hostels, and B&Bs and three restaurants run by the locals. They don't have a menu - only serve a choice of res, pescado y pollo - all of which are served with rice and beans... I enjoyed a whole lake fish - caught out of the lake and it really looked like a pirhana- the entire fish was on my plate, and it had huge teeth and lots of bones. The meat I could taste was fresh so I can't complain.



Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Ocean? Lake? Ocean....Ocean? Lake? Ocean....
Ocean? Lake? Ocean....

There are actually sharks in this lake.
We are here...We are here...
We are here...

Two volcanoes in the middle of Lake Nicaragua form - Isla De Ometepe.
Quisiera cerveza y vinoQuisiera cerveza y vino
Quisiera cerveza y vino

Could not find wine anywhere on this island.
Pescado, Carne, or PolloPescado, Carne, or Pollo
Pescado, Carne, or Pollo

Three choices.. but all tasty.
Playa Santa DomingoPlaya Santa Domingo
Playa Santa Domingo

The developed part of Isla De Ometepe... as you go deeper towards the volcanoes, the lifestyle goes back in time. The people live off the land and have the same customs as they've had for hundreds of years.
Concrete Road - to Dirt to RemoteConcrete Road - to Dirt to Remote
Concrete Road - to Dirt to Remote

This road is still in the very developed area of Isla De Ometepe.


Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 14; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0511s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb