From Shaky Beginnings to Tranquility


Advertisement
Published: July 1st 2012
Edit Blog Post

We are here! I've got to say transportation is a total trip. Of course the Continental flight was uneventful. The fun began upon arrival in Managua with our 20 minute and $20 cab ride to the bus station. Steve normally would have complained about the high cab fare but safety quickly trumped all concerns.

The cab took us through some unfavorable parts of Managua with surly looking people scouring the streets. We didn't think it was that dangerous because we were in a moving car but that was until.... THE RED LIGHT AND TRAFFIC.

We were clearly targets and my blonde hair did not help. Our car was surrounded by kids shoving their arms in our window and licking it. I think they were distracting us from the older people who were going to try rob us. We attempted to roll up the window but those kids were persistent and kept their hands in the way. We have arrived...

Thank god there was a green light. We were moving again, away from the situation. We continued our trek through Managua to the bus station. The city itself seems very poor and its truly sad how these children begin
Airport in Managua Airport in Managua Airport in Managua

Next stop...cab to bus stop to Granada...
a life of panhandling and crime at such a young age.

Upon arrival at the bus station, we opted to take the "Express Bus" to Granada as opposed to a local Chicken bus, which is basically an old Yellow School Bus that makes several stops along the way. The bus station was insane with vendors, people everywhere. In fact, it didn't even look like a bus station - more like an open garage near the street with chaos. We had to closely watch our belongings and couldn't wait to get out of there.

The bus dropped us off a few short blocks from our hotel and we've been in heaven ever since. Arriving into Granada was like walking back in time. This city is beautiful. The architecture, the history, the people, music - everything about it is so charming.

The hotel is near the Central Park and town center. It's a quaint BB with a charming courtyard, pool restaraunt - and yes, a great bar! Unpacked and settled we enjoyed our first Nica beers - a Tona and a Victoria. We liked them a lot; and in fact, I think I actually liked it better than Costa Rica's Imperials.

We then walked around the town, had a few drinks and appetizer in the main square and then we were so tired we ate dinner at the easiest place close to the hotel, a Mexican restaraunt of all things... We failed our goal to eat Nicaragaun food - but will do that tonight for sure.

We are off today for bike rides and long walks around the city.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 6; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0835s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb