recharging and in transit


Advertisement
Published: October 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Today was abit of a write off. We took a day trip into the coastal area to the beaches of Las Penitas in a chicken bus. These chicken buses are of the worst shape you can possibly imagine yet they somehow make it work and jam a bunch of people in along with bags, groceries and farm animal. The ride cost only .50 cent but you get what you pay for. When we finally got going after 3 hours of waiting because of the storm the night before, we got to the bridge and it was flooded. The water had reached passed the bridge so now the bridge had about a foot of water on it. Everyone was anxious to get across and I don't even think the bus driver gaveit a second thought and went through the bridge. I am no structural engineer but with all that weight of water against the bridge and the full bus it is just a disaster waiting to happen. But in Nicaraguan fashion we push through and made it.

As we got near the beach village things started looking worst. Streets were flooded everywhere and people were walking around in rubber boots or
a random house in Las Penitasa random house in Las Penitasa random house in Las Penitas

I think there was an after party I hear
horses.

The village of Las Penitas is very undeveloped. All over are dirt roads and houses that look like they will fall apart of you rock it. Instead of barb fences locals use broken glass and line them along the wall which probably had the same effect. We finally got to the beach and the water looked gross probably from the river flooding into the ocean. The surf looked lousy but and very choppy with alot of under current and rocks. We went by the local surf shop and he confirmed and basically said he was closed. So we sat at a local soda and had a bite and ended up stuck in this village because now the flood water was too high to get back across the river. It was a pretty boring ordeal waiting around but I did meet a new friend who took comfort on my lap and chilled with me. It was this tiny kitty and he kept me company while I read.

When the bus finally came after 4 hours we ran for it like refugees. We just wanted to get out of there. We got back and all was anticlimatic as I
random duderandom duderandom dude

I think the guy in the form of Via Via was snoring too loud so this poor fellow slepted outside the form
lost the rocks papers scissors for the last private room so I had to walk across the street to a different hostel.

Between the two hostel - Via Via and Big Foot these are the comparisions.

Via Via has nicer beds and a way better restuarant. It probably is the better one of the two if you want convenience and cleaniness.

Big Foot was good too but the room and facilities was not as great but it was cheaper $5 for a dorm and $11 for a private room. It did have a better hang out area.

That night we had dinner for the last time and I said good bye to Thomas who was heading to the east side while I went to Granada to recharge.

The shuttle bus ride was brutal because the a-c was broken and so too were the sliding windows. The sun was beaming down and it felt like you were in a Bikrams yoga class. It got so hot even the locals who were normally use to mad heat complained about it. It did not help that these shuttle buses stop all the time to pick up passengers but at least it´s a step up from the chicken buses.

Tips - chicken buses will run you $1 and shuttle buses $4, taxi probably $30 if you want to get from city to city, and tourist express buses $12 These prices are based on going from Leon to Managua.

I arrived in Granada and felt sick probably from all the drinking and the heat whch finally did me in. Granada is a beautiful city more so then Leon when it comes to the buildings. The buildings are all colonial and each have a unique and beautiful archetecture. But the central park is where you want to be to hang out during the hot afternoon and people watch. It is lined with horse carriages and cafes.

Just 4 blocks from the park is the city markets which is lined with vendors selling you anything from dvds, food and all sorts of useless stuff. I have to say the street vendors who have the jewelry trade do make pretty good quality jewelry. So if you are into bracelets and rings I would wait until you get to Granada or better yet Masaya which apparently is the shopping place to
Le Penitas beach near LeonLe Penitas beach near LeonLe Penitas beach near Leon

It wasn't happening for surfing. Riptide galore.
be.

So the plan was to stay in Granada and figure out what to do. I had two options:

Plan A was to head to the inaccessible East coast by bus which takes a total of 13 hours by bus and ferry. The east side of Nicaragua is not very accessible and during the rain season it is completely inaccessible due to the roads and the fact that there are no roads and only rivers after you hit El Rana.

Plan B was to head to Cocibolca the largest lake in Nicaragua to the famous Ometepe islands where there are two huge active volcanos side by side. The hike up is 8 hours and the harderst one I believe is 11.






Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

closed surf shop closed surf shop
closed surf shop

it was a sign
what do kids do these dayswhat do kids do these days
what do kids do these days

Playing soccer, soon after it poured and the water was up to their waist and they stilled went at it
one of the cafes near the park in Granada one of the cafes near the park in Granada
one of the cafes near the park in Granada

Central park where to hang out and have expresso and read
crazy market in Granadacrazy market in Granada
crazy market in Granada

It is madness here during peak times


Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0704s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb