COCKfighting


Advertisement
Published: April 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Here it was, a peaceful, hot as hell sunday morning in Granada. We had spent the last few days wandering around the city, checking out the lake, and watching in horror as the Bruins continue to stake their claim as the Buffalo Bills of College Hoops. We had just walked over to the oldest fort in town (nice but kind of boring). Barton, realizing it was sunday, asked a man about cockfights. Next thing you we are let into a shady hotel entrance and led in back where there is ring and everything. The fights didnt start for a few more hours so we walked back to the hostel and took a quick swim. When we returned the once empty backyard was full of cocks, trainers, and fans. There were fruit vendors, fried chicken basket ladies, and cerveza coolers. Being the only gringos we were taken right in a and giv en front row seats for the action. A few guys explained the rules to us and explained that on one side of the arena the visitors from Masaya had brought their best cocks to battle with the locals. I was expecting a brutal and savage display and I could just hear the whiny self rightous protests of the hippie girls back at the hostel. But as the first fight began I witnissed not a bloody bought, or ugle display of animal cruelty, but a majestic, beautiful almost dance if you will between two highly trained competiters. These birds were groomed welll, fed well, and lept over each other, flapping with wings, hitting with beaks, all the while going for the ultimate kill shot with the razor blade tied to the left heel. Sure most of the matches ended in blood, but very few ended in death. The trainers loved their birds, sucking the blood out of their eyes, and working tirelessly to save their lives after their savage bouts. There was no rowdy onlookers screaming for blood. The fans seemed to appreciate the artistry of the fight, and to respect that these birds were putting it all on the line. After three hours of fights I was amazed, and glad to have had the oppurtunity, pictures to follow. Perhaps people will disagree but I recommend it to anyone travelling near Granada...

Advertisement



12th April 2008

Those birds deffinatley died....
Maybe there was a vet on standby

Tot: 0.194s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 48; dbt: 0.087s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb