Masaya Volcano


Advertisement
Published: July 30th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Well, what a great day! E. and I decided to head to Masaya, a city 16 kms from Granada this morning. We hopped on an old school bus turned into an inter-city bus (with a bar added through the middle of the ceiling like in a subway car! We arrived in the city and went to the old market and wandered through it for nearly two hours. I bought a shirt for myself and a few things for loved ones and E. bought herself a great bag and earrings to go along with the scarf she bought here the other day. All in all, it was a very great experience!

Little did we know though but the best was yet to come. After the market, we hired a driver to bring us to the Masaya Volcano National Park. Sergio drove us to the top of the volcano, only about 5 kms, and much to our surprise, the crater we were brought to was steaming hot! We were able to literally peer into an active volcano, it was incredible. There was this yellow-tinted smoke billowing out of the centre of this crater...apparently at night you can see the red colour of the lava in there somewhere, but we couldn't make that out today. After that, we went for a bit of a walk and we were able to look down at the volcano. We also went to another hilltop to look into an inactive crater with 200 years of growth. It was really surreal seeing a forest in a crater about 300 metres down. After our volcano fun, and it was fun, Sergio brought us back to Masaya to a look-out where we could see the volcano and a lagoon *a volcanic lake*...the view was stunning and the lagoon equally impressive. So impressive, that it looks like we've decided to stay here two more days to be able to go to another lagoon all day Monday, where we're going to kayak and stuff.

On an entirely different, yet not unrelated topic, E. has very greasy ears, in fact, at times she won't stop talking about this greasy ear phenomenon. She's convinced it's the heat rendering otherwise solid matter into oil, but I'm rather convinced it's actually some sort of volcanic eruption in her head!

more news later.

d.

Advertisement



2nd August 2005

sexy
i love greasy ears - and happy belated happy birthday - i know two weeks late

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb