Masaya, Granada,


Advertisement
Published: April 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We started the day with a hike up an active volcano. The dome had collapsed so the view down into the volcano was quite impressive. It was hard to breathe because of the gases and the warning signs to park backwards in the spaces made you aware that it could errupt at any time. A view in the adjacent inactive volcano showed how the vegetation filled in, while the lava flow from the active volcano showed little vegetation. Sat down for a rest and realized there was a wasp nest next to us. We enjoyed stopping at a small, but informative museum...didn't realize termites can make their mounds up in the trees.

Next on the scenic journey was a scenic stop for a beer and to rest at a small restauarant overlooking the volcano and small lake. We're off to Granada for some shopping at the local market and to walk the streets. Couldn't resist some of the local artists paintings and some of the woodwork. I love the way each town has a uniquely painted church.

We ended the day at a delightful lakeside restauarant and then a boat cruise around Lago de Nicaragua. Are drive back to Maria's parents gave us many opportunities to view the sun setting over the towns. Enjoyed looking at more old photographs, including one with a young Maria with her parents and friends. Her Father is dressed for bull fighting.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0415s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb