The grubbiest market we have seen yet


Advertisement
Published: December 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We took a day trip to Masaya from Granada. The bus terminal at Masaya was the muddiest we had seen so far and the market the most disgusting. But we were here for the Old Market - Mercado Viejo. This one was very civilised with lots of stalls full of tourist tat. We couldn't help it, we had to buy a little painted box with Nicaragua written on it. We walked, pausing to see the churches on the way, down the waterfront where we had a lovely view of the volcano and lake. On the way we saw lots of hammock makers selling their hammocks from their front porches. We then took a taxi to the bottom of the hill with the fort on it. We walked up. It was hot but we needed the exercise. The fort was now occupied by the scouts but for US$1 you can go in and climb on top of the fortifications for a fantastic view of the town and volcano and surrounding countryside.

We ate back at the Old Market. I had a nacatamal which is a local delicacy of cornmeal, cheese and meat wrapped in banana leaf. Didn't smell too brilliant but it was very very tasty! We noticed some kids hanging around. They were getting food from other patrons of the restaurant. I had 2 rolls that I hadn't touched and Pieter gave them to a 5 year old. Another 5 year old argued with him about getting a share. My plate was not completely finished and an older kid asked if he could have it. He took it to another table and sat down to eat. Before we left Pieter also donated half a coke. This had not happened to us before. It was quite shocking but the kids needed the food and they were very polite when accepting it.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Cool old buildingCool old building
Cool old building

In El Salvador we met a man from Masaya who recognised this house and said it was sad to be in such a condition


Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 24; qc: 116; dbt: 0.1082s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb