Dehydration Warning!


Advertisement
Published: September 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Lago de Apoyo is about an hour from Granada on the bus, there are a couple of places to stay. I stayed at the Monkey Hut. This is an incredible crater lake that allows for fantasic swimming and kayaking and lots of chill time. However if you attempt the hike to the lookout, be prepared. Information is scarce but it is a fairly easy climb depending on the weather. Mud was a huge problem and some of the people we left with turned back...not before delaying us for ages. Allegedly it should take approximately 3 hours return. This was not the case, lack of signs and a town to negotiate made our journey closer to 5 hours.
stupidly we underestimated the trek and didn´t take enough water or money. The lookout costs a dollar to get through the gate, but the views are spectacular across the crater lake, small land mass and then Lago de Nicaragua.
However the lesson from this story was not an easy one! Due to the humidity it is hard to determine the loss of water and on returning hunger takes over. I probably needed to put in about 2 litres of water but didn´t, instead put in about 1/2 and a plate of pasta...big mistake! My belly was so full I couldn´t drink any more water. I should know better!
I spent the rest of the day and the next feeling, sick and tired, unable to do anything! So now i take loads of water with me...the Camelback has come out again and is always accompanied by another litre and a half!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0541s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb