Sandals Jamaica FAM Trip - Day 4


Advertisement
Published: December 22nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Today we are headed to Montego Bay. My butler came to get my luggage, and I then went to enjoy a great breakfast. The Jamaican coffee at Sandals is simply fantastic - strong, but not overpowering – at least for my taste. They use Blue Mountain, and I had to get some to bring it home to my husband.

Our first stop was Sandals Royal Caribbean and Private Island, which may just be my personal favorite of the bunch. Close enough to the airport and the busy town of Montego, but remote enough to feel like you were getting away from it all - and it was just beautiful with a laid-back atmosphere and a large stretch of beautiful beach.

We saw a variety of rooms, all of which were all beautiful, but the Crystal Lagoon Swim Out Suites were really fantastic. I love the idea of walking out of your room, stepping onto your patio, and into the water of a long lagoon-type pool surrounded by beautifully manicured flora and fauna. There are numerous room categories and activities available here, lots of pools too, and guests can also take a short complimentary shuttle ride to and from Sandals Montego Bay and Sandals Carlyle to enjoy their amenities and additional dining options, even though there are 8 dining great options here. .

There were so many amazing things about this resort, that I cannot begin to name them all, but what blew me out of the water (no pun intended) was the private island in close proximity to the resort. As we were walking along the beach, I couldn’t take my eyes off of it - I was just drawn to it. Just a quick hop aboard the transfer boat and were setting foot on the smallest island I have ever been on. There was a bar, a pool, a swim up bar, cabanas for spa treatments, gorgeous white sand beaches (there’s even a clothing optional section), the Bamboo Shack serving island jerk, and the Royal Thai restaurant, which is a great building that looks like it just came out of Thailand. Destination weddings are very popular at Royal Caribbean, and an interesting option is to be able to rent out the entire island for 6 hours for your wedding.

Not too far away, we then saw Sandals Carlyle, which is close to the “hip strip” of Montego Bay. With only 52 rooms, 4 different room categories, a smaller pool and the beach being across the street, I wasn’t expecting to like it very much, but I was sure surprised by how great it was. To look at it from the outside, it’s not what some may imagine to be a “resort” but once you enter, you feel completely different. Sandals Carlyle has the highest amount of returning guests, and each and every one of them is remembered by name and treated like family.



Because of the small size of the resort, there are only 3 restaurants on property, but if the food was as good as the treats made for us by Mr. Nibbles at Nibbles Grill, guests are in for a treat. There’s also room service 24 hours a day for all guests. Also on this property is a fitness center, a spa, and many sports activities such as basketball, tennis, shuffleboard and land and pool volleyball. Also available to all guests are all the watersport options at Royal Caribbean and Sandals Montego Bay. And since the shuttles leave to the other resorts starting at 9am, there is a special early morning transfer for divers.

A trip to Montego Bay wouldn’t be complete, without a trip to Scotchies for real Jamaican jerk – a place where locals and tourists both gather, so we went here for a quick lunch before going heading to the next resort. It was great to be amidst the real Jamaica. I ordered the jerk chicken and also tried festival, which is like fried dough and somewhat sweet. Too bad I can’t bring that home with me. But, maybe I’ll try to make it some time.

When we arrived at Sandals Montego Bay, you could feel again how different this resort felt. It was so upbeat and lively! This is the flagship resort of Sandals, and the entertainment capital set on 26 acres of land. There are activities going on all day, and nightly shows and a pub bar where the party stays happening until 5am. We started our tour viewing the non-denominational Christian chapel on property. Sandals Montego Bay is the only resort that has that offering.



Lining the beach and close to the ocean are the various buildings housing numerous room categories, and also the Bay Roc Estate Beachfront Butler Suites. Cottage No. 5 at the resort is an eco-friendly villa option which is completely solar powered. We also got to see Building 6, the Prime Minister Suite, and it was just what you picture a villa in Jamaica to look like. The beach here goes seems to go on forever, and the property has two smaller pools and a swim up bar in addition to the private pools that are private for a couple of the villas.

I really liked the selection of restaurants at this resort. There’s a French Brassiere, an Authentic Irish Pub, an Italian Ristorante, a pizzeria, a Seaside Grill, an Asian Restaurant (also serving sushi), a seafood specialty restaurant, and the fine dining at the Oleander Room. A group of us met for dinner at StewFish on the beach, which is the seafood restaurant. I’m not a big seafood person, but I had shrimp and scallops, and loved it. After dinner we went to Cricketeer’s Pub for drinks and good laughs. Oh, and I have to mention our round of “rainbow shots” – quite delicious.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 26; dbt: 0.134s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb