Jamaica A6


Advertisement
Jamaica's flag
Central America Caribbean » Jamaica » Montego Bay
November 22nd 2013
Published: November 22nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

The main and the largest religion in Jamaica is Christianity, despite the fact that Rastafarian is the domineering local religion. Jamaica also has other small groups that practice other religions like Judaism, Buddhism, Islam, Judaism and Bahia. But Rastafarianism is also a dominant religious denomination. Christianity was brought to Jamaica in 1790 by two freed slaves and quickly gathered many followers. Previously, there had been segregation even in religion in that African-Jamaicans were not allowed to enter the church because early missionaries preached that God was white.



Rastafarians believe that Haile Selassie I, who they refer to as Jah, is the reincarnation of Jesus Christ. Thus, Ethiopia and, more broadly, Africa itself, are viewed as the divine kingdom of God. Rastafarians believe that Africa represents heaven and former colonies such as Jamaica are hell for the descendants of enslaved Africans. Rastafarians believe that they will return to Africa to enjoy the riches and heritage of their people. The human body is a temple for Rastafarians, as they believe that God is in every person. The Earth and its bounty are also holy for the Rastafari movement, so the natural world should be respected.

The science and technology of Jamaica is very limited and not very good.



The buildings in Jamaica are of not very good structure due to lack of money.



Website used: https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/jm.html

Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0288s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb