First Day at the Internship


Advertisement
Published: July 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

View from our officeView from our officeView from our office

The view from our office
Got up this morning to get ready for the first day at the internship. Ate breakfast, and made bets with Keith about breakfast and if it would be Ackee and Saltfish again (thank GOD it's not. I hate fish, and Keith isn't a fan either). Breakfast is some sort of flavorless hotdog/sausage bits. Hrm. Clifton the driver arrives a little after 10am, and takes us to the PAHO/Ministry of Health building -- Keith and I were hoping it was within walking distance -- but it's not very close and through some interesting parts of town to say the least.

I see a man pee'ing in the middle of the sidewalk facing the street about 2 blocks down from where we live -- see a 4 plus car accident a few miles from there. Another 5 minutes down the road see a man washing himself using the water from a puddle on the sidewalk.

We arrive in downtown Kingston -- half a block from the Ocean -- we are wisked inside the building and taken up to the 7th floor -- meet our supervisor and all of the staff for the PAHO/WHO. Meet a potential supervisor for the Ministry of Health. Each person on staff discusses the safety concerns in Jamaica. We are told we have a UN Security Brief scheduled for Wednesday (how official)! We discuss our expectations for the internship -- we are shown to our office (complete with a window overlooking Kingston Harbour -- BEAUTIFUL)!

Keith and I go to lunch and eat Jamaican patties. Spend the afternoon reading WHO/Mental Health Policies for Jamaica (some of which we referenced in our IDP presentations). We discuss accomodations and are told that we should not take public transportation and should hire a private driver to take us to work Monday-Friday. We are driven home by Clifton. Go to the market. Buy a cell phone. Go to dinner. Drink Red Stripe.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0372s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb