Honduras


Advertisement
Honduras' flag
Central America Caribbean » Honduras » Western
December 6th 2011
Published: December 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Discovered that the pretty, little, cobbled town of Copan not only had sunshine, blue skies and Mayan ruins but also had a large selection of divine cheeses.

Full of dairy, we set out to explore Copan. Had no idea where we were heading, we jumped in a tuktuk. Cobbled streets, tiny wheels and dubious driving skills complete with no suspension is interesting on the tummy.

Picked up our mayan history the budget travellers way, by eavesdropping on tour guides.
We enjoyed ourselves rather a lot in the cooling tunnels and tombs, in hindsight perhaps being rather too jovial for the situation. This was further clarified when exiting the temple the door mysteriously slammed shut and locked, preventing our return. Don't think the mayan spirits were impressed. Bit embarrasing

Had a fabulous day out visiting Macaw Mountain, a bird sanctuary which looks after old pets and ill birds and releases fit birds back into the wild. It was amazing to see macaws, toucans, owls and hawks up close.
Butterfly house didnt have many butterflys, and we discovered the cow museum wasnt open after travelling 11 miles in a speeding tuk tuk ...bit chilly..Emily froze to death and had to have a hot chocolate to recover form her ordeal.

Visited Finca El Cisne which is about an hour car ride from Copan for some home cooking, hot springs, coffee and horses for a couple of days. The food was flavoursome and mainly grown on the farm but the courses just kept on coming. As this was only lunch we were abit concerned about the potential magnitude of the evening meal but coped well. Coped less well with the temperature drop in the evening, weird needing a blanket. Lexie thoroughly enjoyed horsing again and it was interesting to see a coffee farm in action.

Lago de Yojoa is home to D & D brewery and 450 species of birds. It was a lovely place and we stayed much longer than we originally planned and painted cabins in exchange for free accomodation and money off food and beverages. Treats included the company of Malcolm the bearded birdman, Birding on the lake and seeing Ospreys, going to a waterfall, painting cabins, climbing about on ladders and sampling the ales on offer.

All in all, Honduras is nice.

YE BIATCHES, WE RUL DA WORLD xoxo


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



1st January 2012

lagging behind!
I must have missed this one, still good to catch up even if I am weeks out of date, sounded good & birds friendly! x

Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0673s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb