Honduras


Advertisement
Published: June 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Honduras



We arrived on the early morning of the 14th in Capon, Honduras. We flew on the Aero Honduras Airlines and checked into our hotel, The Hotel Posada Real de Copan and picked up our XTerra we rented from the Airlines car loaning facility.

We decided to go to Honduras just for the culture and the people there, and the second we got there we realized we had made a good choice. In Honduras, the people you meet accept you as family immediately and are the most hospitable people that we had met on our trip, always welcoming, and always generous. We even ended up only spending one night in our hotel before checking out because all he locals convinced us to stay at one of their houses so we could really get to understand Honduras culture. We stayed at the house of a couple named Mario and Sylvia, with their young daughter Milka. The family made us big meals, which consisted always of rice, some sort of friend meat and beans, and sometimes even of fried plantains.

Our lunch the first day













We spent the first day walking up and down the street vendors, looking at what they were selling and at the poverty filling the country. Many little kids were out working, as young as four years old















A street vendor close by where we were staying







We ended up buying a hand woven scarf, a tee shirt and a piñata. We went to a small taco cart for dinner and ate two fish tacos. Which, by the way, are delicious.

Since we came to Honduras for the cultural experience and not for the sights we mostly stayed in that city, although we did make one sight seeing trip, to the Ruins of Copan. They are believed to have been inhabited by the Mayas as early as 1200 BC. It was $20 to get in but well worth much more than that. Our tour guide, Pablo, took us down the entrance to see some old Maya hieroglyphics. Then we saw a big court, once used to play ancient games, that was adorned with skulls around the edges, thought to belong to the losers of important games.

We returned to our hosts house late that evening and Mario and his wife told us a lot about their culture. They both grew up in homes where most of their extended family lived with them and family always came first. God also played a major part in their lives, families would go together to church all day on Sundays

Their house was quite small, the floor was dirt and the side was covered with graffitti from some teenagers around town. The house has three rooms, a kitchen/main room and two bedrooms
































We stayed in Honduras only one more day, this was our shortest stay of any trip, and that next day we simplt meandered the streets and tried to speak to some locals. It was a nice change from the rest of our high impact activities we had been doing during our travels.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0317s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb