Gringos y mas


Advertisement
Published: July 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We arrived on June 8 at the agricultural school of El Hogar, just outside of Talanga, Honduras. The school serves as a boarding school for approximately 50 boys ranging in age from 12-20. All the students at the school, are accepted on the basis of financial need, and most of the students come from rural farming families. At the school the students have 2 tracks, one is the plant/agriculture track, and the other is the livestock track. Students participate in 5 hours of hands on farm management every morning, and then have 5 hours of regular high school classes in the afternoons. On the day of our arrival we were asked to teach lectures on diseases of significance in agricultural animals of Honduras, and so began our 2 week series of daily lectures on POD highlights IN SPANISH. If you thought POD was hard, just try teaching it to teenagers in a foreign language! Our evenings were spent getting to know the boys, and helping them with their math homework, Vlad in particular was an avid math instructor. As well, we had the chance daily to observe the working of the farm itself, and spent a lot of time taking note of management and treatment of animals (which was not always ideal). We all enjoyed our time spent at El Hogar, and hope to return to visit the boys in the future.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0494s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb