Cry-fest 2006 in 3B


Advertisement
Honduras' flag
Central America Caribbean » Honduras » Central » Comayagua
December 9th 2006
Published: December 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

So today wasn't the greatest day.

After lunch my kids were supposed to have music class. Apparently the music teacher was not there today, so one of the counsellors (who is actually only about 20 years old) gave my kids a worksheet to colour and then took off and left them unattended. I had NO idea any of this was happening. I came back to my class for the 2nd last period of the day, to find half of them missing, half of them running around the class, and one crying because someone else kicked them.

I was in the middle of giving a lecture about respect when one student started talking to their neighbour and another was trying to tell me something without raising her hand (WHILE I WAS TALKING!). I then caught 2 students chewing gum. I just lost it. I wasn't sure what to do anymore. I spend FAR too much time telling my kids to be quiet.

I told them to get out some work and to start doing it. I then went to find Cesar and tell him how displeased I was. I ended up breaking down in his office, telling him that I have never had to deal with such a challenging set of children in my life. I am usually quite good with these situations. Afterall, I've been working with kids since I was old enough to not be considered one myself. It really makes you second guess your abilities when you have a group that is so out of control.

I went back to my class, only to find their social studies teacher (a Honduran woman) telling the kids (according to my kids, as I didn't understand) that they had no heart and were far worse than the other grade 3 class in terms of behaviour.

My kids saw that I had been crying and they were all bawling. Cesar came in to give them a talk for 5 minutes about respect for each other... mostly about not kicking and hurting each other, which was only one of 50 points I felt the need to bring up with my kids.

I had the students then all answer 3 questions that I wrote on the board; What happened today? Why did it happen? What can we do to fix this? They all felt horrible. We had a talk then for about 20 minutes about how I was feeling and how they were feeling.

They told me that it really bothers them that ALL of their spanish teachers tell them that Mr. Chris' class is way more behaved than they are. This made a lot of them cry even harder. I told them that I would never trade them for Mr. Chris' class. That's Mr. Chris' class. This is Miss Sarah's class.

I reminded them of the fact that many people around them don't have the money to even go to school and that they don't realize how truly lucky they are to be in the school learning. I told them how sad it made me to see them treat each other so poorly. Our classroom is a family. We don't treat our family like that. I told them how much I love each and every one of them and that I know that they can be doctors, and lawyers, and husbands and wives, and parents. These kids have so much potential that they are wasting on silly things.

Maybe I should stop teaching science and math, then start teaching life skills instead.

I don't think this behaviour can last all year. I won't let it. Monday afternoon Cesar is calling a meeting with all the parents of my students so we can discuss all this with them. I really need support from the parents and don't seem to get it as much as I would like. I guess it's hard when they speak a different language.

I do love my kids. I just wish they'd apply themselves more to school. Here's hoping next week is better.

Tomorrow should be nice for me. I'm going with Walter to his school again, then watching a ballet recital that Leah is actually dancing in, as well as a bunch of my students, and then the EBH staff Christmas party, which is apparently quite formal. Walter's my date to all of this. Looks like we'll be spending the WHOLE day together tomorrow. I'm excited.

Walter's been so stressed out with work lately. I hate seeing him like that. He works far too often for far too many hours. He thanked me today for always stopping in at his work to visit him twice a day (it's on my way between school and my home) and said that he needs to see me to remind him of something good in his life. He says all his friends only think of parties and always ask him why he is not going to parties with them. He thanked me for helping. I didn't know that I had.

Anyways, today has been quite the day. It's 8pm and I feel tired enough for bed. Had a nice chat with Stells tonight too. I miss that girl. Shitty days remind you of how nice it would be to have those who know you best there to give you a hug, let you cry, and just sit with you while you do because no words are needed. They simply understand. Realizing how much I miss you all.

I truly am blessed with everything that I have been given in my life. Amazing how much perspective you can recieve while being somewhere so far from home.

Advertisement



9th December 2006

Sorry to hear about your day
Hey Cuz, I have been reading your blogs everytime I get them. I knew your kids were a little out of hand but I didn't think it was this bad... Sorry to hear about it... Hopefully next week will be better... You'll be in my thoughts and prayers... Sorry I don't post more often... :( Talk to you later, Your most favoritest cousin :P
9th December 2006

Don't give up!!
Sarah, It sounds pretty tough at the moment, I think most things that you do, especially such a challenge of visiting another country, in a language that is foreign to you, to teach them something, in a culture much different than the one that you grew up in. It's bound to be hard! You have been so strong so far though, days get rough, but they're bound to get better! I know you can do it, don't give up, and just be grateful of what you said in your last line that you are truly blessed with everything that you have! You're doing something really great for these kids, keep it up!! xoxoxoxoxo
9th December 2006

Hey Sar, Your journal entry rang so true for me today. I remember being in those classes and being told that we should be more like the others. I think a teacher like you who really loves her kids and encourages them to reach their potential can make all the difference in a childs life- i'm sure they will remember you and this day in their futures. Also christmas party sounds like fun- i can't wait to see the pictures. Have a lovely christmas break- Ro
9th December 2006

Sarah: Everything you're saying to these kids tells me that you are truly an exceptional teacher! Even in your darkest moments you told them that you love each one of them; that you would never trade them for Mr. Chris's class, and that you know that one day they can be anything they want to be.... only an exceptional teacher who thinks of her kids before herself, can continue to encourage that much self-esteem and self-confidence in her students during a time that she's feeling pretty low on her own abilities. I am so impressed with your honesty and sincerity with these kids....there is no doubt in my mind that by June you will realize the incredible impact that you have had on each one of them. There is only good that can come from students seeing that their teacher is also a person with feelings and emotions. The fact that they felt badly about their behaviour is testament to that. You are a gifted teacher Sarah....the bad days will dissipate and the good days will become more frequent. .....they will be that much brighter because of the challenges you're facing now. Enjoy your full day with Walter!!!
11th December 2006

Miss you and love you
Hi Boo! Just got back from Jamaica last night and finished reading all your blogs and all the comments. My friend Clara summed it up perfectly and said everything the way I would have said it. (And thanks Clara for the backup "Mom" comments while I was gone- too cute!) Sarah you are an amazing person and teacher - don't ever forget that and I know also that these kids will never forget you - I bet that you have already made a difference in some of their lives that will stay with them forever. There will always be bad days to make the good ones seem extra special. As you said, it is harder for you because your family and close friends are not physically there but we are certainly there in spirit as you can see from all the comments coming your way. So please imagine a big hug and kiss coming your way until we see you for the real thing in February! Talk to you soon.........Love Mom
12th December 2006

Sorry to hear that
Hi Sarah, I am sorry to hear you have been having some trouble ... but I know that it will ALL work out ... You know it too deep down!! I am glad that you are having a meeting iwth the parents - they may not realize right now how hard things are for you but once they sit down and here it all they will maybe realize how difficult it is ... YOu are strong enough to get through this all ... don't worry !!! I will talk to you soon, Take care Nicole
12th December 2006

ALWAYS DARKEST BEFORE THE LIGHT
Don't forget, Sarah, these are the same children and students who, when asked earlier why they should respect and value their teachers, said ''TEACHERS ARE THE BEST THING GOD DO.'' Time is the best healer. The bad stuff passes and makes way for the good. And I know you're not a quitter. Hang in there. Love, now and always, DAD XXX
13th December 2006

Awww Poor Sissy!
Hey, sorry to hear about your bad day. Like everyone else said Sarah, you are truly a wonderful person and a wonderful teacher. You've inspired me and continue to inspire me throughout my life, and I'm absolutely sure those kids are inspired by you too. I love you and miss you so much Sarah, and like mom said we are there with you in spirit. Can't wait to see you in February! XOXOXOXOX
17th December 2006

Good days/bad days
Hi Sarah, I've enjoyed reading your stories about life in Honduras. I guess it's time for me to tell you a little story. As a teacher you will find you will have good days and bad days. Always praise the kids on the good days and try not to harp too much on the bad ones. Positive reinforcement goes a long way!! I'll tell you what a very smart principal(not my principal at the time) once told me duing one of my more difficult years.....He said, "I'm not even there and I know you are doing an amazing job" Just as I know you are Sarah. I'm very proud of you and what you are doing and I have told all my teacher friends about you...Keep up the good work!!! I wish I too could say I'll see you in February!!! Let me know if you need any thing. Merry Christmas! Jeannie (P.S. If possible, try to check on your kids often if you think they may be left unattended....being left unsupervised leads to many unnecessary problems.)

Tot: 0.221s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 82; dbt: 0.102s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb