post honduras... utila


Advertisement
Published: October 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

ok, truth is i'm no longer under blue honduran skies, but under the grey ones of brum. my last few weeks in honduras were crazy, had no time to waste in the internet cafe. so here's a quick update of what i did.

UTILA ... i was lucky enough to get a long weekend off school so i took the advantage to go to Utila, one of the Bay Islands off Honduras, accessable by a 1hr boat trip from La Ceiba on the coast. Last year i had been to Roatan (the bigger Bay Island) twice so i decided to check out her little sister. Utila is a paradise for backpackers who like diving and partying. I spent my weekend doing exactly that, up at 7.30, roll down the stairs of my dirt cheap but beautiful hotel and onto the dive boat, before chilling out on the beach in the afternoons and drinking and dancing till the early hours with my new found friends.

the diving was fantastic. altho i saw less fish than on roatan, the coral was stunning... red fan coral, uv blue-white vase looking coral, golden yellow brain coral....and i saw a turtle, one of my fave underwater creatures. i also did a wreck dive which was wicked. randomly there was a cow's head on the boat (which had been sunk about 10 years ago for divers). said cow's skull was apparently left over from when they dropped a dead cow down there to attract more fish, they ate the hide but left the head. quite eery. it was cool to go inside the ship, even tho i got my tank stuck on the top of a doorway. another dive i did was to some underwater caves, luckily i had got control of my buoyancy by then as there were some pretty tight spaces!

on my last day the guys who owned the dive shop (an utilan family) invited me to a Banyan (i think thats what they called it) on the other side of the island. basicly the utilan version of a bbq. we went to this guys house and all the guys were cooking on the huge veranda. they where cooking up a fish soup in an industrial sized pot over a fire. in the pot they put green banana, yuca, potatoes, bread-fruit, tortilla strips, coconut milk, spices, fish, lobster, shrimps, conch (all freshly caught by them that morning). the cauldron was bubbling for a long time... but when we eventually got to eat... oh my god it was worth the wait!



Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 54; dbt: 0.046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb