Wilma that nasty girl


Advertisement
Published: October 21st 2005
Edit Blog Post

First of all sorry for not posting anything over the last 3 or 4 days as I know some were worried about Wilma. But that was the reason I wasn't able to write. Last Friday I met up with my tour group to start our trip through Central America. We met up in Antigua and departed on Saturday for Honduras. The group seems to be good so far. It's comprised of people from England, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, and America...12 girls and 6 guys. We left Antigua and headed to the Copan Ruins. The ruins were pretty impressive to see. It's hard to believe that these people were able to build such sophisticated and complex cities with none of the modern day instruments we have. We stayed in the neighbouring town of Copan Ruinas for 2 nights before heading to Tela for 1 night we were supposed to go to the stunning islands of Roatan...but Wilma came through and we were stuck in Tela for another night with hopes of Wilma missing us and salvaging a couple of days on the island. The next tday seemed ok but the tour company wasn't going to take the chance and changed the itinerary so we get an extra day in Niceragua, and Costa Rica. I was really dissapointed because Roatan has some of the best diving in the world and super cheap. But it was the best decision because Roatan got hit with some of Wilmas force so I don't think it would have been great diving weather with 250 km winds. So we are now in Grenada Niceragua. Today we climbed to the top of a couple of large craters that were volcanoes that had erupted over the last 300 years and has dramatically changed the landscape. There was an amazing view at the top and apparantly the ones we climg in Costa Rica are bigger and much better scenery...can't wait. Grenada is a really cool place. It is the oldest city in Central America with lots of old buildings and really friendly people. So far the tour has been good other than the long distances we have had to travel but our group has been lots of fun, the group is all around the same age between 23 and 34 so we all like to go out and have a good time. However the locals in every place we stop in are so nice and warm that I am wish I could spend time getting to know them, but with the language barrier it is so hard. I am getting really frustrated. So I have decided to take a one week Spanish course before I go to South America. I am just not sure where yet. Well that's it for now, I am going to try and post some photos tomorrow. Bye for now........


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Road blockRoad block
Road block

Often in C.A. people block roads to protest rights. This was a teacher strike. We had to transfer from our nice coach to a chicken bus(school bus)
Road blockRoad block
Road block

Often in C.A. people block roads to protest rights. This was a teacher strike. We had to transfer from our nice coach to a chicken bus(school bus)
dogdog
dog

Love this picture


23rd October 2005

so glad to hear from you
Troy, it sounds like you are seeing some terrific views and can't wait to see some pictures. Glad your tour guides are taking precautions with the nasty Wilma. Take care, Troy
23rd October 2005

Glad you are safe!
Happy to hear you are safe and sound and that Wilma didn't impose on your tour too much. So there are aussies in your group... you can't escape us anywhere! ;)
24th October 2005

Safe from Wilma
We're glad to here that you were safe from Wilma, that was quite a scare, but I think you would have been ok with 12 girls being with you and all!! Have fun and stay safe!! Love T
25th October 2005

Good Ratio
Hey Troy, Glad to hear Wilma didn't catch up with you personally...the ratio of your group sounds pretty promising (Is she there??) Remember, you have to come back to live in Canada!! B

Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 12; qc: 60; dbt: 0.049s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb