Day 79 - Peckham Springwater


Advertisement
Honduras' flag
Central America Caribbean » Honduras » Bay Islands » Utila
September 19th 2006
Published: September 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post


We had great fun on today's dives, even with dull sounding themes of buoyancy and navigation. Unfortunately our underwater camera case is leaking so we can't prove it, but we were both happily swimming through hoops and anchor chains.

The heat and humidity mean we're drinking lots of water, and tapwater here is highly undrinkable. Luckily, 'Johnny's Water' is here and they refill 1 gallon bottles for 50p. This saves a bit of money and more importantly means less rubbish than just buying bottled water. The 'Johnny's Water' marketing machine has successfully sparked off a guilt trip by saying words to the effect of "Utila is a small, beautiful island, and would be ruined by landfill sites full of discarded plastic water bottles". They don't mention that a lot of urban Honduras is a de facto giant rubbish dump, and that the island's rubbish could very easily be shipped over there; the Utila-specific green argument is a bit of a red herring. (This isn't meant to give a bad impression of Honduras though, which from what we've seen is a nice enough place.) If you think this view is a bit cynical, just watch the Only Fools and Horses episode featuring 'Peckham Springwater' and you'll understand.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0276s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb