Island Life in Utila


Advertisement
Honduras' flag
Central America Caribbean » Honduras » Bay Islands » Utila
February 14th 2012
Published: March 3rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Hola amiguitos!

We headed straight for the one of the Bay Islands when we crossed into Honduras from Guatemala. Utila is the smaller island of the three and it has a friendly town with a mixed linguistic salad of English, Creole, Spanish. The daily highs were consistantly about 30-35 C, so needless to say we spent many hours of the day in (and under) the crystal clear water of the Carribean Sea exploring the amazing reefs that are just a few metres from the shore. The underwater world is a place that few people get to visit, and so we always feel priviledged to be able to swim with the fishes and our many other aquatic companions that live in our oceans on our gorgeous planet.

We stayed at a nice hostal right on the water with great views over the bay, and Tony and Rosa (owners) were amazing hosts. We also got a kitty fix with their lovely 23 year old orange tabby cat named Baby (that's right! 23! - so island life for a cat shows its lack of stress too). It was very refreshing to see a pet that was loved and cared for, as sadly, most pets are neglected and in poor condition - a common and heartbreaking sight on many of our trips to some of the world´s poorer nations!

We made some friends on our ferry ride to the island, Pat and Rob, who we enjoyed many meals, hikes and snorkels with whilst enjoying island life. They were also very generous in lending us their underwater digital camera for a day or two. Thanks a million!

Worth mentioning is the island´s traffic problem! The small main street is narrow and has a very high amount of annoying loud motorcycles, quads, and tuk-tuks, which have never seen wrenches, have poor brakes, clouds of black smoke, no headlights, etc, and are driven completely idiotically with zero respect for pedestrians (or any other vehicles). The islanders (and the mainlanders alike - but too a lesser degree) seem to have little foresight for consequences, and thus, when there is an accident, it is inevitably of epic proportions.

Ten days later, we made the tough decision to leave this small piece of paradise, and took the ferry (the Vomit Comet) back to La Ceiba on the mainland.

Hay lugares en los que usted quedan,
Our home for 10 days in UtilaOur home for 10 days in UtilaOur home for 10 days in Utila

It was a real treat to have our own fridge and a little shared kitchen.
y hay lugares que se quedan en usted... There are places in which you remain, and there are places which remain in you...

T y D.


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

BabyBaby
Baby

The 23 year old kitty who loves to sleep.
Coral big footCoral big foot
Coral big foot

Dave's artistic piece using coral from the ground.
Under the mangrovesUnder the mangroves
Under the mangroves

A shaded picnic
Our resident algae cleanerOur resident algae cleaner
Our resident algae cleaner

This crab hung out under our dock, feeding on the algae.
Taking coverTaking cover
Taking cover

Even the fish protect themselves during the intense heat of the day.
A School of FishA School of Fish
A School of Fish

Excuse our ignorance at fish identification... We are woking on it.
Beyond the coral reef...Beyond the coral reef...
Beyond the coral reef...

...lies the unknown...


3rd March 2012

what memories
Dear Dave and Theresa - how lovely to see the photos of Utila, both above and below the surface. Beautiful, and hard to leave. Safe travels. Love, F.
3rd March 2012

What no Sharks?
Whats zup with that?> Beauty! Thanks for sharing, Don t come back for a while yet, it's still cold up here.......take your time, chillax........Canada will be here when you decide to come back to reality.......
4th March 2012

No sharks!
Apparently the crocs have eaten them all?
3rd March 2012

just amazing
All i can say is how amazingly fabulous. lovely.
3rd March 2012

beautiful
WOW, the Queen of the sea, she left her prince behind!!!! That is really something to see, I think if I ever get a trip, it will be Honduras, but I don;t even have a passport, whichI think I will get one,Buenas tardes Love MOM (Mama)
9th March 2012

Hello from The Pas Manitoba
Hey Theresa and Dave, Great to see the photos! I envy you the time in the warm waters....we are all looking forward to your return and wish you safe travels. I wonder where you will go next time??? Heather MacLeod ps I am in The Pas for work this week. LeeAnn is checking the house.
12th March 2012

Great pictures...reminded me of the time we spent in roatan loved the snorkling and getting the underwater pictures. We just spent the last two weks touring around portugal - graet place to visit and enjoy the countryside, the back roads and the wine see ya sharon

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0493s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb