Roatan, Honduras


Advertisement
Published: December 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Today we arrived in Roatan about 8:30am. Coxen Hole is a small town of t-shirt shops and the obligatory Diamonds International and Tanzanite shops built directly adjacent to the dock. My excursion left at 9:00am from the pier. We made 4 stops: Plaza Mall, where I bought some Lamanan (SP?) black and white pottery. It is an old custom recently revived to give single Honduran women skills . Other things to buy here are handcarved mahogany, everything from tiny boxes to carved doors ($2000 including shipping), the craftsmanship is great. Next stop was the Iguana Farm. 4 little guys welcomed us at the road, I grabbed my camera. Should have waited a bit, there were HUNDREDS, just roaming around free. We were each given a giant leaf, and put it down and they came running at you! It was unnerving but exciting as well. These people began this asylum to protect this former food of the natives from extinction. I though maybe Andrea would like to work here. Next stop was a home owned by a couple who moved here and share their amazing view of both sides of the island. Most gorgeous view. We had a cold drink here and took lots of photos of the gorgeous reef and Bay Islands. The off to Tabyana Beach for 2 hours. Facilities include a bar at the beach, complimentary beach chairs, shade or sun, and nice swimming beach. Up above is a restaurant and fresh water pool. This is a tiny 34 miles X 3.7 mile island, lush, tropical, no bugs, no seagulls. Paved roads, lots of potholes, but nicer than Belize a few years back. (More on that tomorrow) We were back to the ship by 2:00pm. Had a bite, then off to the internet cafe.

Better go, I'm off to meet Orville & his wife for trivia at 5:00pm. We came in 2nd the other day.

NO sunburn yet. Lots of sunscreen.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0226s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb