Getting around on Roatan


Advertisement
Published: March 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

On Roatan there are two prices, the local price and the tourist price. This is important the know when going to bars and getting taxis. Sometimes, you are just out of luck. Never take a taxi to West Bay, they will assume you are a tourist staying at one the resorts. I´ve heard stories of people who have paid 10 american for a taxi from West End to West Bay. And of course there are some bars that will only charge the tourist price, but since you can get your drinks to go, its easier to just get a beer at the cheaper bar and then go to a more expensive one. And the bars in West Bay only charge the tourist price, an even more inflated price than in West End actually. But sometimes its nice to go ¨vacation¨to West Bay, because the beach there is truly beautiful. And the 30 minute walk is quite nice.

On Roatan there are a few ways to get around. Either take a taxi, but the rates change as it gets late, and sometimes you just have to wave on the ones who will try to rip you off. Or you can hitch. Obviously the most cost effective. From Brick Bay it was usually easy to get a pickup to at least Coxen Hole, the Plaza del Mar, which is halfway to West End, at what point you get out at the petrol station and then either try to hitch or grab a taxi. Coming back from West End at night though, you are better off getting a taxi, with a lot of people. The joke amongst locals and gringos though is put up your hand for a truck and take it down for a taxi!

Then when I was staying in Sandy Bay, it wasnt as easy to hitch, but it was ok cause a taxi would only be 25 limp. Of course, I had numerous taxis who would charge anywhere from 30 to 40. But if you just said, really not 25 to them as you handed over the money they would always give back the correct change.

And there is your crash course on Roatan... stay tuned for more




Advertisement



Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0691s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb