Racing through Honduras


Advertisement
Honduras' flag
Central America Caribbean » Honduras » Bay Islands » Roatán
September 27th 2007
Published: September 29th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Okay so we are now two countries ahead of this blog so need to do a quick update on Honduras before we get too far behind and cant remember what we have been doing!

After Guatemala we caught a 4am bus (gasp!) and crossed the border to Copan Ruinas..a small town near..you guessed it! Some Mayan Ruins. We only stayed here one night and went out to the ruins for an afternoon. they were pretty cool, again set in the jungle so saw some cool wildlife including some big colourful macaws. The museum here is excellent, as the ruins are the best Mayan ruins for the preservation of the sculpture and inscriptions the detail has been preserved in an excellent museum and the restoration of the ruins themselves (I loved the skulls...this is Jason writing now) we also met a Honduran family on holiday and got talking in a combination of very broken English and Spanish. So Norma and her Husband are both teachers (she is a primary school teacher so she taught us how to count...) their kids were really cool and when it came time to leave the ruins she insisted on giving us a ride back to town (saved taxi fare, sweet) and then gave us their phone number in Honduras for the next time we came. Very cool people.

Then the next day caught the 6am bus (a much more civilised hour) through to La Ceiba in hope of getting the ferry over to Roatan islands in the late afternoon. I wont go into details but ended up staying the night in this town which was a bit of a hole, when it turned out we could have made the last ferry the night before...grrrr. So we splashed out and caught a little plane over the next day which was much quicker!

Roatan Island is pretty backapackery - very laid back, not too commercial yet and a great spot for diving. Jase decided that after doing his Padi course 16 years ago and not diving since, that it was time to do a refresher course. The Bay Islands are the cheapest place in the world to dive so it was a good choice. He did the refresher and two dives and had the biggest grin on his face afterwards so I think there will be more diving later on this trip! Weather was a bit rainy, but still warm so I got through a couple of books lying in the hammock while he was out diving. (Jase was very reassured by the professionalism of the instructers at Native Sons who were German, English and American, and the fact that they taylored him a refresher course after he set a record for the longest time since his last dive of 16years... he is stoked that he did it, can't describe how cool it was).

We stayed in quite a cool place called Chillies, which was across from the beach and came complete with numerous pets that made themselves at home around and in your cabin. Cats, dogs, lizards, and crabs to name a few (thankfully only the cats came into the cabin), and the most annoying of all, about 5 roosters who liked to stand right outside the window at 5:30am and see how can crow the loudest. If only I had something to throw at them!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0399s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb