Tequila Downs


Advertisement
Published: April 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Today we did our last open water dive and are certified scuba divers! We dove at a site called canyon reef. It had deep crevices and canyons that you could swim through (hence, the name). We saw an eel, a big crab and lots of different fish.

For dinner we went to the crab races (aka tequila downs) at Bay Island Beach Resort in Sandy Bay. It's a weekly charity event that benefits the public schools in Roatan. They have a pig roast, and you buy crabs ($10 for 3) and race them. There are two "heats," and the top three from each compete in the finals. There is one winner. Half the money from the races goes to the schools, half to the winner. But, if the winner doesn't give their half to the schools, they "break your kneecaps!" We had some luck with one of our crabs, Buster (you have to name your crabs), who made it to the final round, although he didn't win. Lots of fun. The crab races have made around $14,000 over the past year (www.roatanschools.org).


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Amy with "Pincher"Amy with "Pincher"
Amy with "Pincher"

Pincher and Lance Armstrong were disappointments, but Buster made it to the finals.
The race is onThe race is on
The race is on

"Big Daddy" announces the winning crabs


Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0254s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb