Grande Goave, Haiti


Advertisement
Haiti's flag
Central America Caribbean » Haiti
February 12th 2007
Published: February 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Maxo! from Grande GoaveMaxo! from Grande GoaveMaxo! from Grande Goave

This is Maxo, a local fishermen from Grande Goave, Haiti.. He helped us cut some fishing line from our propeller, after which he kindly asked if we could bring him back a newer pair of diving fins,,, take a close look at the next picture!
Monday, February 12th 2006

After some ten weeks now in Haiti, Annie & I will be flying back to Montreal Canada on Wednesday Feb 14th, from Port au Prince, for a short visit to see our Family and Friends. After which we will be returning to Haiti on the 26th of the month.

Our last sailing destination was Grande Goave, Haiti (18º 25’ 759N 072º 45’ 226W). Grande Goave is located on the South East coast line. This is the location we have dropped a new mooring and where we have left her…..s/v My Love III that is, for the duration of our short trip to Canada. With some great help from the locals, we were able to load an engine block from a Mack truck, In our opinion weighing some 1500 to 2000 lbs + onto a row boat (see pictures here attached) and dropped it to the bottom on Monday, just before leaving for Port au Prince. The locals in Grande Goave have proven to be very polite, kind and so very helpful. We have a local named Lila who will be guarding the boat, with the help of others, during the time we are away.
Maxo! from Grande GoaveMaxo! from Grande GoaveMaxo! from Grande Goave

Maxso!!! I asked him in my best Creole!! What size are they?? He just smiled saying I am not sure!!! take a close look as he has done some serious work in keeping these fins alive!! We will see what we can find for him during our trip to Canada this week…

Maxo, a local fishermen from Grande Goave Haiti.. helped us out by cutting some fishing line from our propeller, after which he kindly asked if we could bring him back a newer pair of diving fins from Canada…. Take a close look at the attached pictures! I asked Maxo (in my best Creole)…What size are they?? He just smiled saying I am not sure!!! Take a close look at the serious work he has done to keep his existing fins alive!! We will see what we can find for him during our trip to Canada this week…

The e-mail update is not working at the moment, which is the reason why you have not been receiving any updates. All should be fixed shortly.

Cheers to all,

Annie & Eric
www.WeBeSailing.com



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Mooring in Grande GoaveMooring in Grande Goave
Mooring in Grande Goave

With some great help from the locals we where able to load an engine block from a Mack truck, I guess weighing some 1500 to 2000 lbs onto a row boat as to drop it in to make us a mooring for the boat, before leaving for our short trip to Canada.
Mooring in Grande GoaveMooring in Grande Goave
Mooring in Grande Goave

With some great help from the locals we where able to load an engine block from a Mack truck, I guess weighing some 1500 to 2000 lbs onto a row boat as to drop it in to make us a mooring for the boat, before leaving for our short trip to Canada.
Mooring in Grande GoaveMooring in Grande Goave
Mooring in Grande Goave

With some great help from the locals we where able to load an engine block from a Mack truck, I guess weighing some 1500 to 2000 lbs onto a row boat as to drop it in to make us a mooring for the boat, before leaving for our short trip to Canada.


22nd February 2007

Lifesaver
While on a short-term mission trip in Grande Goave I reluctantly agreed to be rowed over to a small island, just off the coast, by a young, inexperienced Haitian boy. Enroute, I expessed my concern that the boat (a log carved out to resemble a boat) was taking on water and that it would be best to get back to shore. My ability to speak Creole is the same as my ability to swim.......non-existant! The boy said that there would be no problem, I think, and after just a few seconds the "boat" filled with water and there I was in deep, water, strong current and no lifejacket. Eric and Annie, in the area with their motorized raft, came over, pulled me from the water and got me safely to shore. Without their help I may have drowned. God is always with us, even though we sometimes don't take the time to "see" him or give him the thanks he deserves in so many things in our lives. God bless Eric and Annie.......and thankyou, again.
27th February 2007

Hey, we miss you already!!! Hope your journey back was good, especially with all the luggage you were taking. It was so special to see you both and hear of your adventures first hand. Wish we could be with you to see the smiles on the villagers faces when you arrive back. They are very lucky you care so much. Luv you. Looking forward to your next adventure. Mary

Tot: 0.2s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 95; dbt: 0.1165s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb