Tikal and ewoks


Advertisement
Published: September 29th 2012
Edit Blog Post

After a nightbus from hell me and some other Brits stumble out bleary eyed. We are offerd a free transfer from the bus company (nothing is ever free) and head towards a hostel on the little island of Flores which is joined to the main land by a little strip of land. The hostel is fully booked for the night – and i'm not disappointed as the reception area is covered in dog turd from their little dachsund. I find a cheap private hotel room for seven pounds a night and go eat in a nice restaurant overlooking the water - a jade coloured lake darkens and thickens with the rain. There are fairy lights stringing the trees, hanging ferns and straw coloured bunting that floats between peppermint coloured houses.

I'm up early for Tikal (awake at 1am for a 4 o clock start) Its the sunrise tour, i'm excited because so many people have recommeded it to me. Unfortunately the sky is grey and overcast so no chance of glimpsing the sun let alone watching it rise and they put all the english speakers into a great big group of 30 which is annoying and is difficult to navigate around the grounds. I'm feeling antisocial and don't want to speak to anyone. A highlight is a tarantula popping out of a hole in the ground to say hello and the tour guide picks it up and rolls it around his hand.

We climb to the top of Temple 4 and sit overlooking the lovely misty canopy of trees. It is the same view as at the end of the Star Wars...where the ewoks hang out which is pretty cool. Otherwise there are no mystical moments.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.018s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb