Last day in Antigua


Advertisement
Guatemala's flag
Central America Caribbean » Guatemala
November 15th 2011
Published: November 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Last Day in Guatemala-Antigua
We began our last day in Antigua, Guatemala with a Mass again in the corridor of a courtyard at our hotel. This time I got to be the lector and did quite well with long first reading—except I kept saying the name, Eleazar, incorrectly El-e-zar instead of El – e¬¬¬-a’- (long a¬) –zar ---anyway otherwise it went well. After Mass everyone left to eat breakfast at Fernanado’s Coffee shop and restaurant. We then had the rest of the day for shopping, touring, and walking. Georgie finished her blog and posted it before we headed out to check out the Mercado (large 5 block by 5 block) for everything from clothes and used shoes to popular brands of American T-shirts to fruits and vegetables. We finally went to another smaller area for Artisans where there was merchandise made by artisits. I bought a t-shirt and a dress shirt made in Guatemala. ¬

We left that area and walked another mile or so and stopped in the Public Park Central where we met yet another time, the relentless hawkers of goods. Georgie finally gave in and bargained two necklaces for $20. After taking a number of pictures inside the park and a church across the street, we decided to find the restaurant, Frieda’s, and met our friends Kathy and Carol who had stopped in front of Frieda’s at the exact same time. We all agreed it was not a coincidence but providence. After an excellent meal of several different types of enchiladas (2 for 1 Tuesdays) we spent the rest of the afternoon together.

We went to a co-op store to check out artist’s work who sell on consignment. Ok merchandise but the ladies were more interested in the Jade jewelry. Georgie and Carol purchased some beautiful necklaces with a matching set of earrings. Georgie was very happy for the rest of the day and evening. We also went back to Santo Domingo so Georgie could get some candles and ended up taking a taxi (with the same driver from yesterday and he stuck with us and waited while Kathy went to get some special coffees run by a beatnick from the sixties and all of us stocked up on many goodies for the pequenos when we get to El Salvador NPH program tomorrow.

We finally made it back to our hotel tired yet happy and eager to go out for an NPH meal at a nice, very small restaurant called “Fusion”. It is owned by a 35 ish good looking man with chef experience in several different countries. We each had something different, a chicken entrée, pork medallions dish, and Mahi Mahi with a great Pumpkin soup appetizer and Coffee Flan (which Georgie and I ate despite the coffee flavor) as our dessert. We then left in our taxi with the same driver used throughout the day. What a wonderful end to our last day in Antigua, Guatemalia. Now to pack for tomorrow’s trip across the border to El Salvador.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.439s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0961s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb